Author Topic: Finally got a deer!!!!!!  (Read 18164 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Finally got a deer!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 11:04:45 pm »
Glad it worked out for ya Billy. 8)  I'm done with stone points. :P  Lost to many deer with them.  :'(  Long story, that I don't really wanta get into right now.  >:(  I'll be sticking with steel from now on.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline billy

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 11:44:42 pm »
I didn't hit any ribs going in or out. And I will be braintanning the hide and making it into something special since it was my very first deer.

And Ryano, yes, stone points work.  I know you had some bad luck with them...but it's gotta be bad luck and nothing more.  Those stone points really are deadly.  The night before I shot this deer I shot a yearling doe with a stone tipped cane arrow at 20 yards.  The arrow disappeared in her side and she kicked like a mule, breaking the fletching part of the shaft off inside her.  When I shot her, I thought for sure it was a dead deer.  The arrow portion I recovered was covered in blood, but 3 hours later we tracked it for 150 yards before jumping it out of its bed.  It ran off and we backed off, but never found her.  It turns out my shot was just a little too far back, it hit one lung and the top of the stomach.  I was really upset about it and unfortunately it really killed the excitement I should have had for the deer I got the following night.  All I could think about was the deer I wounded and i felt absolutely AWFUL.  There just isn't much you can do.... do your best, pick your spot, and try to make an accurate shot.  Think of all the deer that are killed and wounded on america's roads.  Those poor animals aren't pursued at all, but instead left to become grease stains on the highway or hobble away with severe wounds.  I know it doesn't change the fact that I wounded one, but I did the best I could under the circumstances and I'm finally beginning to accept it...almost a week later.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Keenan

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 12:28:14 am »
 Congratulations Billy, Also on the squirrels as well.  Nice shot on the doe and awesome quest fullfilled. Chasing the heart dream as well to take an elk with all my own primitive gear. Enjoyed your article on bird points and have had fun listening to Cheney tell stories about you. When you get back up here to Bend drop by for a visit. Maybe we can grab Dave and head out somewhere close for some fun.  Keenan

Offline billy

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 12:30:13 am »
HEy Keenan,

Thanks man, and yes, I've heard a lot about you as well from Dave.  We'll have to get together next time I visit!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 12:49:39 am »
Congrad's Billy.. You did the right thing and stayed on the path!

Offline Key

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 03:57:13 am »
Congrats Billy! There is nothing like your first with any bow but a selfbow is something special. Using stone, as you did, well.....shows how it was and can be done.
Roger

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 09:14:10 am »
Congrads again Billy. ;) I sent you a pm. There's a little more to it than just bad luck.  ::)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline TRACY

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 09:16:57 am »
Trick or Treat! That is just awesome! Way to hang in there and see it through.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 05:53:20 pm »
Congrats, Billy. Man, that's a huge doe.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline adb

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 07:30:49 pm »
Congrats! An EXTREMELY righteous way to kill any critter. Way to hang in and continue on your path, until you were able to reach your goal!

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 10:27:51 am »
Nice job man. hope to do the same soon myself.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 10:57:52 am »
Way to go Billy, congrats!! Hopefully I can post a picture like that soon.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 09:23:27 pm »
beautiful deer man, you did it pritimitive too- a nice sized doe too! good job and good luck man. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline Anaconda 12

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 10:58:26 pm »
Good job Billy now when you get back here get ahold of me and we will go hunt my property with primitive gear, those stone heads you sent me are awesome can't wait to try them out on another deer!  Take care and travel safe!

Quintin

Offline Postman

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 10:27:59 am »
nice doe, man - congrats. readin' all these deer posts with an empty freezer's makin me hungry..... ;D
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA