Author Topic: My Fire Kit  (Read 3125 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
My Fire Kit
« on: November 03, 2008, 12:12:57 am »
Here are some pics of my fire kit.   It is in one of those little tin mint boxes, useful for cooking more charcloth.  The striker was made by a smith friend from the coil spring out of a garage door lifter. 

It works good, easy to get a live spark in the char, and i have learned to keep some fat pine shavings in the box, too. 

Not as fast as a Bic Lighter, but just as dependable.   

piper

Offline Stonedog

Re: My Fire Kit
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 09:03:58 pm »
NIce kit Piper!

If I may make a suggestion?

I carry a similar kit.....one thing that I learned is to lay a thin piece of leather (not oiled at all or oil tanned!) over the char cloth.....then lay my steel and flint over that.....it will keep the flint/steel from turning the charcloth into carbon dust....
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 11:12:52 pm »
Thanks Stonedog.   I'll do just that.  I have some home tanned buckskin that will do nicely.   

(geez, , why didn't I think of that?)

piper

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 01:45:57 pm »
I stopped using whole cloth and now use threads I have pulled apart and then wadded into a ball.  You can pull of what you need and when the charred threads are fluffed a little they really catch sparks!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 10:32:33 am »
Nice kit man...i have one similiar but i have a modern piece of "flint" too. But i use fryer lint as amy starter works real well and ignites doesnt just hold a char.
Modern Day Tramp