Author Topic: Bamboo Shaft Diameters?  (Read 9502 times)

Offline agd68

Bamboo Shaft Diameters?
« on: November 03, 2008, 01:52:37 pm »
Does anyone have a recommondation for shaft diameters for bamboo to get 55/60 pound for a 29" arrow?
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline TRACY

Re: Bamboo Shaft Diameters?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 02:42:16 pm »
Answers will vary from my experience with tonkin and river cane. I would spine each one individually to get what your looking for to be exact.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 03:03:33 pm »
A good rule of thumb is to cut canes that are about 3/8" at the base. I know folks that carry a 3/8" open end wrench when they go to collect the cane for arrows.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 05:21:54 pm »
The big variable that makes al the difference is wall thickness on the boo.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline agd68

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 03:31:40 pm »
Bamboo does'nt seem to grow to well in Canada so I'll be using garden stakes.
Happiness is..

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 08:01:45 pm »
 Those are probally Tonkin. I'd cut them 32 to 34" long and 8 to 10 mm thick. Then play with the spine from there.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PeteC

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 10:13:59 pm »
Like the others said,there are a lot of differences between cane.Something I've been doing the last year or so is ,cut your cane long,like 4'-4 1/2'.After it is dry,Measure the deflection along the lenght until you find the desired spine.I have 2 nails driven into a shelf board,26" apart.Starting at one end,lay the cane on the nails,mark the location of the unflexed shaft,then hang a 2 pound weight from the center of the section your testing,mark the new location of the deflected shaft,then measure the distance the shaft deflected.Example:If the shaft deflects .45",then , 26 divided by .45 =57.78# of spine      or, if it deflects .3",then, 26 divided by .3 =86.67# of spine.   This is handy, because with this method you can rough test the spine before straightening the shafts.After testing a few of your batch,you will have a good idea what diameter you need to fit your need.Then cut, straighten,and build arrows.Hope this helps.  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline agd68

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 02:59:29 pm »
Thanks for the advise guys.
Happiness is..

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 12:09:10 pm »
PeteC, That is great formulae. How did you come up with that system? I think I like it better than my cabinet door spine tester.
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 12:54:57 pm »
OK Pete....I really like the Formula there....now when you spine your cane...do you....and you set them up ...do you fletch them with the weak side of the Cane towards the Bow ...or away from it?? I know it makes a difference....but I cant remember which way to go...I believe it was weak side to Bow....but I am not for sure.........
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 01:04:16 pm »
Mike the sides of the cane with the nodes is the strong side and one of those sides should be against the bow. If the arrow doesn't fly right, just flip it over and it should.  ;)  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 01:07:51 pm »
Thanks Pat....I have always just hit and missed on getting Cane to fly good...some are great the first time....others I have had to re-nock to get them to fly straighter....haven't tried sanding them to spine them yet....that may be a possibility though...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 01:18:56 pm »
Art Butner and Chris Cade and maybe Hillbilly all sand their cane shafts. I don't. For me the best way to spine them is to start long and reduce until they fly right. With cane spine is not all that critical as they seem to be less sensitive to spine than other shafts. The natural taper helps with that and also a few extra inches in length.     Pat

Offline PeteC

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 01:23:34 pm »
After cutting the arrow to lenght,and straightening,find the strong side.Your cock feather goes on the bottom as it sits.I mark the cock position,then rotate 90 degrees,and mark my arrow nock.God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline agd68

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 09:46:57 am »
Ok , how do you detrmine the strong side?
Happiness is..