Author Topic: Bamboo Shaft Diameters?  (Read 9501 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bamboo Shaft Diameters?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 11:31:19 am »
On cane the sides with the nodes are the stronger sides. A spine tester will tell you which is the stronger side or possibly you would be able to feel the difference by hand.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 08:08:11 pm »
 sorry to dispute you Pat, But the nodes aren't the strong side all the time. An easy way to find the strong side is to lean the shaft against a low table with one end on the floor. With the palm of your hand, push down on the center of the shaft till it starts to bend. Now push it forward till it starts to roll. When you get to the stiff side the shaft will flip forward real fast. Just watch where it begins ti flip and mark it . I use a Sharpey, Then I put the stiff side against the handle. The opposite side of your mark is your cock feather and now you can mark where to cut your nock.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 10:47:43 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PeteC

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 08:31:52 pm »
agd68,the "strong side", I'm referring to, is the side which yields the least deflection (highest spine).You find it,by rotating the shaft ,(while it sits on your"spine tester"),and checking deflection,(by hanging your 2 #weight on the shaft),until that side is found.Once you've found it,and it will be on top side, as your arrow sits on your "spine tester".The side facing the floor is where your cock feather will go,thus,the nock will be parallel to the floor.I mark mine with a pencil ,while it sits on the 2 nails  Hope this helps.If not let me know,I'll be glad to try again..God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas