Author Topic: ready for alaska  (Read 4270 times)

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
ready for alaska
« on: November 04, 2008, 07:41:43 pm »
Well my son (hunter-trapper) and me are headed for Sitka,Alaska tomorrow to hunt some blacktail sitka deer.My buddy that lives up there said the population is down due to the snowfalls the last 2 seasons but it is gonna be a fantastic trip whether we score or not.Were also gonna be crabbing and waterfowl hunting too.We,ll be staying on his boat for 10 dAYS.I was up 2 years ago and we all got deer but it was with rifles.I shoot a curve and my boy a longbow.Were from Penna. and have been doing some hunting here but didn,t score.I had a few buck close but they were not legal.(Penna. has antler restrictions)We have been seeing black bears every time were at camp in Potter Co.Well good luck to all and we,ll post when we get back.Just being able to spend 10 days with my son in alaska is my BIG REWARD.Have a great day-Lloyd

Offline DanaM

Re: ready for alaska
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 07:46:27 pm »
Good luck guys, I envy ya big time. Wife has been to Alaska but I haven't yet.
Don't forget your camera because we all expect lots of pictures :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 10:13:29 am »
Good luck guys and let us know how it went when ya'll get back. Enjoy your time together!!! 8)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 10:26:57 am »
it will be a good time. we leave today so im getting excited
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 12:16:24 pm »
Sounds like an awesome adventure Lloyd, especially when you get to spend it with your boy.  Good luck to you both!   I hope to be heading up there in 2010 for a DIY bear hunt.
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 02:37:10 pm »
good luck brothers , hope you make some meat... look forward to the hunting pics and story when you get back ...Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 11:25:42 pm »
 Good luck you guys.That is awful pretty country from a boat.Lots of calm nice water all in peril strait and the protected waters.There were a ton of ducks in there yesterday.Black and white-wing scoters,harlequins and a good many mallards. The snow line was pretty high on the hills,so i will send up a prayer for cold and snow. The rut should be starting and they really respond to fawn bleats.Be extra sure to punch both lungs,these deer are really keyed to run when threatened and will go 50 yards with their lungs shot out (Because of being hunted by brown bears all their lives). Have a great time.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 01:30:11 pm »
Good luck, fellas! What a great trip to make as son and father....truly a blessing!
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 11:16:57 am »
An awsome hunt, best of luck. This type of hunt is my dream hunt, especially if you throw in bears. Anxious to hear the story. Don't eat too many crab legs. (just joking)
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline John K

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 07:26:12 pm »
Wonder how it's going for them  ??? Sounds like quit an adventure  :)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 03:34:37 am »

All the best of luck to you Guys.  Don't forget to ask your buddy to get you some squaw candy to take with you on your fishing trip.  I hope you catch a bunch of Barn Doors! ( Halibut ) , and eat your fill of fine crab legs.  And hopefully you will be able to get some steel heads.  Like you said, wether or not you get a Black Tail Buck, you will have a great time.  I have always wanted to go to Alaska, but never have.  My brother spent five months up there.  He would move there in a heart beat, but wife, thought she loved the little time she was there, would not.  Good hunting, and fishing, and keep those goose primary's, and any other parts you be able to use.  Oh, yeah, don't eat any yellow snow.  Look for tracks first. ;D

Wayne

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 02:03:50 pm »
Sounds like a great time! Stay safe and enjoy! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...