Author Topic: Bows of the Mohawk Tribe?  (Read 26053 times)

Papa Matt

Bows of the Mohawk Tribe?
« on: November 05, 2008, 09:52:25 am »
Anybody know anything about these bows, or where there is information on the bows of this tribe, such as construction and materials used?

Thanks,

~~Papa Matt

Offline richpierce

Re: Bows of the Mohawk Tribe?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 01:58:15 pm »
Hickory.  I have seen one or two.  I think there is one at the museum at the library in St. Johnsville, NY in the Mohawk valley.  Rectangular cross section, narrow, no recurve, bend in the handle.  Many of the bows we see in museums are bows for boys, because adult men had guns.  presumably the man-sized bows were similarly proportioned.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 03:49:32 pm »
From Wikipedia:

The Iroquois Confederacy (also known as the "League of Peace and Power", the "Five Nations"; the "Six Nations"; or the "People of the Longhouse") is a group of First Nations/Native Americans that originally consisted of five nations: the Mohawk, the Oneida, the Onondaga, the Cayuga, and the Seneca. A sixth tribe, the Tuscarora, joined after the original five nations were formed.

It was common for groups of Indians to copy, trade and develop bows with their allies.  Therefore, a Mohawk bow might look like a bow used by any of the above nations.

Bows of these tribes varied from straight D-bows to recurves.  Hickory was used most often.  It appears that the Mohawks might have used longer bows than the other tribes (on average)?  All these bows bent through the handle, were self bows, sometimes decrowned, rectangular or oval in cross section, wide tipped, and had side-cut nocks.  I don't remember seeing any double curved or reflexed bows among these tribes.  The only two Mohawk bows I've seen are recurved.

I wish there was a really good source for info on Mohawk bows (and other weapons).  I think Jim Hamm's book on Bows, Arrows, and Quivers, Vol. I is the best single source.

Here's a Mohawk bow.

Length = 113cm (44-1/2")
Width = 3.5cm (1-3/8")
Handle Thickness = 2.5cm (1")
Probably made from a hickory sapling.
It was origianlly decorated with quillwork.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline uwe

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 11:49:26 am »
Yes, I agree. This book tells something about the Mohawk`s bows. The own name of this tribe is Lenape. I did this bow, which is shown by Richpierce a few years ago. to the dimensions in Jim`s book. The bow was made of locust. I have sold it to someone. Its an easy to tiller bow.

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 04:02:04 am »
looks alot like my ironwood bow!
with the wrappings and all!
cool.
jamie

Offline uwe

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 08:34:19 am »
I did a mistake telling you the Mohawks are Lenape. Thats the name of the Delaware, sorry about that!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 10:44:50 am »
I did a mistake telling you the Mohawks are Lenape. Thats the name of the Delaware, sorry about that!

Uwe.....    ;).....didnt want to pick on you....I figured it was an Honest Mistake and that you would figure it out..........

Mohawk....... from the Narraganset Mohowałuck "They Eat Living Things".... hence them being called "Man-Eaters" They are the most easterly tribe of the Iroquois Nation.  They called themselves Kaniengehaga..... "People Of The Place Of Flint"

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline uwe

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 03:36:52 pm »
Thanks; I`ve learned something new!
Regards Uwe