Author Topic: Arrow set of the month  (Read 6754 times)

Offline MikaelMazz

Arrow set of the month
« on: November 06, 2008, 05:00:54 pm »
I was just thinking that it would be neat to have an arrow set of the month like we have bow of the month. As we all know good arrows are harder to make than a good bow. And arrows can be made very beautifull. Just a thought. What do you think?

Mikael

Offline DanaM

Re: Arrow set of the month
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 05:05:22 pm »
Its been suggested before and was declined. Not that much variation in arrows, yes they can be made in many colors
but in the end its a stick with feathers. Perhaps a one time contest would work though. I know some guys put an
awful lot of work into their arrows and create works of art. Me I lose them to fast to get carried away ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 05:45:04 pm »
I think it would be a good Idea..

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 06:23:12 pm »
I dunno....sounds good to me.  I think there could be a lot of variation as long as people are not using stuff purchased off the shelf.  Maybe there should be a rule that states the arrows have to be made from scratch...no modern kits or pre-fabs.

Or we could break them down into 3 categories: (1) Ugly modern arrows, (2) Semi-modern uglies, and (3) Really cool primitive hand-made works of art. ;D >:D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 06:36:59 pm »
I dunno....sounds good to me.  I think there could be a lot of variation as long as people are not using stuff purchased off the shelf.  Maybe there should be a rule that states the arrows have to be made from scratch...no modern kits or pre-fabs.

Or we could break them down into 3 categories: (1) Ugly modern arrows, (2) Semi-modern uglies, and (3) Really cool primitive hand-made works of art. ;D >:D

well then just to be completely homemade, no dowels then either. a homemade arrow should also have to be made from all gathered materials.

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 06:54:35 pm »
No dowels?  Ouch.  ;)  What about split lumber?  Lots of NA arrows in the east were made from split hickory.  How could you tell the difference between a hickory dowel and split hickory?

What about acrylic paint, epoxy, nylon thread, petroleum-based stains/finishes, power tools, etc?  This might be the reason the idea never took off?

I know......Maybe we could have an "ooga-booga" category for the all-naturals?  And a "wall street" category for those of us who like to cheat a little. ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

jamie

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 07:49:52 pm »
ooga booga my favorite

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 08:37:06 pm »
I'd be up for a set of primitives.    It has been said before though that its takes a lot of work setting up BOTM and to do arrows is a lot of work.    i think every 3 months  or 6 months would be fun.   and i'd say you can only enter one set and have to label which set you want listed.   also 2 categories
   modern arrows- commercial feathers, plastic knocks, glue on points..etc
   primitives-  wrapped or tied on natural feathers, selfknocks, andstone or trade points...etc...

just my idea, dont think it really matters too much, just throwing a couple cents into the hat.- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 09:42:14 pm »
 jackcrafty, somebody suggesting a bunch of rules, making it complicated, was part of the reason nobody had time to run it. Why not start a post, I'll stick it to the top and let it run till sometime after the New Year, and we can all vote on it? If the Magazine wants to get involved, lets go from there.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 10:25:13 pm »
I'd be up for a set of primitives.    It has been said before though that its takes a lot of work setting up BOTM and to do arrows is a lot of work.    i think every 3 months  or 6 months would be fun.   and i'd say you can only enter one set and have to label which set you want listed.   also 2 categories
   modern arrows- commercial feathers, plastic knocks, glue on points..etc
   primitives-  wrapped or tied on natural feathers, selfknocks, andstone or trade points...etc...

just my idea, dont think it really matters too much, just throwing a couple cents into the hat.- Ryan

this is a good start here,jmho

how many to a set? has to be more than one. i think that since most hunt with a minimum of three arrows, that three would be a nice minimum number.
more would be a lot of work,especialy if doing primitive arrows.
just a thought

how would the functionability be judged,bom atleast you have a full draw pic.

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline donnieonetrack

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 10:37:43 pm »
I'm in for the all primitive arrows.

Donnie
Donnie Wilkerson
Gainesville, Florida

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 04:17:23 am »
I think you are on the right track mullet, OB already has his hands full with BOM.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 07:17:41 am »
I'l get started on some really cool recurved cane arrows with exotic hard wood tip overlays  :P :P :P ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 09:13:32 am »
Sounds like a good idea Mullet. Keep it simple though.
Dana, will those recurved cane arrows shoot around trees? ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 02:15:09 pm »
Hey guys, I'm taking Mullet's advice and I'm going to start a post for showing off your arrows.  We can set up a voting thing if there's enough response. ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas