Author Topic: a quick bird point test....  (Read 3558 times)

Offline billy

a quick bird point test....
« on: November 06, 2008, 11:21:35 pm »
Hey Everyone.  Went hunting this evening and missed a 12-yard shot at a small doe with the same bow and reed arrows I used in the bird point test.  On my way home I saw a small roadkilled doe that wasn't there when I went hunting.  Knowing it was really fresh, I picked it up and brought it home for processing.  But before I cut her up, I shot one of my lightweight reed arrows at the deer from 10 yards to see what it would do.  It was tipped with a small stone point, though not as small as the bird points I used in the test.  The reed arrow zipped right through the deer without slowing down and slammed into the wall of the metal barn, splitting off one edge of the point.

When I conducted my original bird point test I never got a complete pass-thru like I got tonight.  I think that the results of the original bird point test could have been even more dramatic if I had used a freshly killed deer that was still warm.  The deer I shot for the article had been dead for almost 48 hours, rigor mortis had set in, and the fat was so cold that it was almost like wax.  I think these factors may have reduced the amount of penetration I got in the test.  Of course the one shot I did tonight was not scientifically done ( I just shot the deer quickly before we cut it up), the resulting pass-thru was something I was NOT expecting.  My dad witnessed the shot and thought I had missed because the arrow didn't even slow down when it hit that deer.  I don't think I hit any ribs, though I'll perform an autopsy tomorrow when it's light.  Below is a picture of the point I used.  Thought ya'll be interested in this since it sort of supplements the info of how effective small stone points can be.         

[attachment deleted by admin]
Marietta, Georgia

Offline TRACY

Re: a quick bird point test....
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 09:24:51 am »
Billy, really glad you took the opportunity to add more data to your original test and recognize some factors that came into play with a more realistic situation. Can you add any info from your bow kill to support or refute any of your theories? Also glad to see someone else utilizing a valuable resource. Keep a log and someday you can publish your findings(book). Good luck!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 10:05:39 am »
Interesting......  I hope you get a chance to shoot a live one for your test.  I don't know how much effect it will have with deer but I know it has a huge effect with cats.  If you shoot a mountain lion he will tense up all his muscles and stop the arrow from passing through even with a compound.  :o  It will also be interesting to see how long it takes to kill it with the smaller point.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

WindWalker

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 12:04:39 pm »
Mr. Snyder,

If you would not mind my asking, the Mountain Lion you are referring to, was it unaware of the hunter's presence or was it treed by a dog pack and/or other means?
Best Wishes

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 06:21:30 pm »
I have seen both done. Mostly treed by dogs.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 11:15:25 am »
HEy Tracy,

When I killed my deer the arrow did not pass thru, instead it punched a hole in the other side, just underneath the backstrap.  This didn't make sense, since I was on ground level with the deer...it should have traveled horizontally thru the body.  Instead it angled upward, missing the left lung completely.  I talked to another friend about this and he told me that what most likely happened was that the moment I released, the deer crouched and angled its body away from me to escape.  He said he has seen this happen when he's shot at deer, and it made sense as to why the shot angled upward thru the deer.  Perhaps the deer reacting so quickly to the shot resulted in the deer moving in a different direction the moment the arrow hit, not to mention that its muscles were tensed, and this could explain why the arrow didn't pass thru.   I shot another yearling doe 2 days before from a stand at 20 yards.  The deer never knew I was there, and because it was so relaxed, the arrow buried in her side with only the fletching remaining in the animal.  It kicked like a mule, snapping the rear of the cane arrow off in its chest.  Unfortunately the shot was a little too far back, and I only got one lung and part of the stomach.  After 2 days of searching we lost the trail and that deer was never recovered, but I was absolutely thrilled at the performance of that arrow and the stone point attached to it.  HAd my shot been slightly forward, I know I would have recovered that deer.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 09:42:58 am »
That would make sense. The fact that it penetrated or made contact with the opposite side of the entrance is more than enough to properly kill an animal as long as the head is sharp enough to inflict damage to the vitals.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956