Author Topic: the #22 pound groundhog we turned into a porcupine  (Read 6610 times)

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
the #22 pound groundhog we turned into a porcupine
« on: August 24, 2008, 11:39:32 pm »
 spring 2007. a cool, crosp morning, ready to go rabbit hunting, with a good old longbow. i waas armed with a hickory longbow, no recurves, no tricks. my cousin was armed with a horse bow he'd made in 4h a few years back- a smooth ahooter, im not going to lie and say im not jealous  ;D. we got ghilled up, and creeped to my grampa's garden, where we'd seen a good amound of rabbit, constantly. there had been groundhog problems, but id never even seen one at the property before. we waited, and within a few minutes, we realized the green tomato bush wasnt moving from the wind- something was there. my cousin was-possibly still is- a better shot, so he shot first. the blunt tip cut through the foliage, but it barely nicked the groundhog. when it finallt came out, we both thought it was some kind of beaver. He ran out (we comfirmed it was a he) and i loosed the feild tip from the bow. i didnt realize how fast the thing was going, by the time i made contact it hit the same wounded back leg-but it was better than nothing. i saw another arrow ( by the way, i used muzzy's , but my cousin only had judo point arrow tips, im sure alot of you know what those are) fly right over its spine. It ran into thicker brush, near the pond, i let loose an arrow, missed him at about 13 yards i wanna say. an arrow hit him in the gut, about three seconds before it ran into the unknown hiding spot we've been trying to find for the past week- under the fish house. there were about six holes in all, so we plugged all of them up with scrap plywood from the new barn, and got the rip cord smoke grenades from the car- this is where it got a bit redneck-ish. we opened two holes up, and chucked the smoke bomb down there. It was realisticly something around a minute before he ran out,and we put the last arrows into him- both hit, the blunt managed to hit him in the head. i have some disposable pictures of it, but no copier, but this thing was massave, and after that we both split the $10 for killing it- them managed to get some good rabbit to end  a good small game hunt. hope you liked the story, post if you wanna post, or hopefully you had similar experiences. ;D
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline Little John

Re: the #22 pound groundhog we turned into a porcupine
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 12:11:02 am »
Wow sounds like quite a shoot out. Congratulations on your hunt. Got to protect them tomatoes.  Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 08:26:38 am »
That was quite a safara you went on...reminded me of a cape buffalo hunt I saw on tv a while back. Congrats! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 09:09:29 pm »
yeah ive always wanted to go boar hunting, especially africa. thanks for posting (cape buffalo are vicious though ;D)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 11:39:00 am »
"this is where it got a bit redneck-ish"....LMAO!  Don't you mean, this is where it gets more redneck-ish!

Good hunt, Ballista, thanks for sharing.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline david w.

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 11:26:55 pm »
Those Illinois people ::)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 09:59:51 pm »
"this is where it got a bit redneck-ish"....LMAO!  Don't you mean, this is where it gets more redneck-ish!

Good hunt, Ballista, thanks for sharing.
  ;D ;D ;D you got me there. that was in wisconson by the way, if i was in illinois there'd be 50 treehuggers on my ghillied arse  ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 11:15:36 am »
Wisconsin?!?!?!  It's a wonder you weren't pinned down or killed by AK-47 fire.

Ok, so after 'tenderizing' with the multiple arrow hits, didja stew up the piggie?  With all those hits I can see why you maybe didn't try to save the hide.  *grin*

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 09:39:33 pm »
you betcha- put it in a stew with some rabbit we drilled later that day- its a fatty animal though, didn't realize that till we had skinned it.  As far as the hide, im pretty sure we kept it, but like i said this is at my grampas cottage up in north wisconson, he used to trap for a living, so he tans his own leathers and such, we even saved those little rabbit pelts ;D  but i rember hitting that thing square in the ass with a blunt, swerving, then running with not much of a limp-last time I make that mistake, im sure blunts work, but my cousin hit one with a judo and it was a one shot kill- also a well placed shot though :-\oh, watcha mean by the ak-47 thing, im not sure if you mean that they're legal, or maybe the bikers are bad ;D thanks, -jimmy

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 11:07:04 am »
Was referencing the guy that was pinned down by the poacher several years ago.  The whole story was a sad day for our image as hunters as a whole.

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 11:18:14 pm »
oh, nearthe UP of mich. right? i heard my grandfather talking about on the phone a while back, didn't hear the entire story though.