Author Topic: close encounters....  (Read 2860 times)

Offline billy

close encounters....
« on: November 08, 2008, 12:23:01 am »
Went hunting this evening.  Was standing behind a big tree when I saw a 7 point buck slowly making his way toward my tree.  He stopped to nibble on some greens about 25 feet from my tree.  Then he kept getting closer.  I wasn't interested in shooting him, so I tried to hide behind the tree the best I could until he got so close that I could only freeze.  He got within 15 feet of me....I could actually smell his tarsal glands when the wind blew his scent toward me!  Then he spotted me,  looked at me intensely for 3 or 4 seconds, then turned and bounded off.  There was one point where he looked away from me and I could have quickly drawn my bow and shot him, but I didn't want to.  I'd rather shoot does anyway since everyone shoots bucks and I'd rather give the bucks a break.  It was really, really cool to be that close to a deer and never be detected until he's almost right on top of you.  I was thrilled just to be that close, and knowing that I could have taken him was just as satisfying as actually taking him.     
Marietta, Georgia

Offline sailordad

Re: close encounters....
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 11:04:19 am »
WOW Billy  :o

you are certainly a man of  character,you set your mind to only hunt does and a big brute like that comes and you let him,literally,walk right up and past you.
most hunters i know would not have done the same,most hunt for bone and not just food,your a good man charlie brown ;D

i have been that close many times in the wods to big deer,to bad its never been during season.seems like i have nore luck stalking during off season than i do during season.

keep up your good ethics and the hunt wil pay off for you.

peace,
                                                                                         tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd