Author Topic: Hi new need help choosing bow  (Read 4138 times)

Offline NTProf

Re: Hi new need help choosing bow
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 02:19:23 pm »
The only woodworking experience I had when I made my first bow was in Jr. High shop class 30 years ago. But my desire to try to make my own bow and hunt with one of my own makiing (as well as limited budget) overcame my woodworking limitations. But I must say that I had an unfair advantage - Jawge helped me make my first one or two. But since then I have not been able to stop. So at least give it a try.

Offline NTProf

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 02:22:09 pm »
The only tools that I use are a Stanley Surform, a drawknife which I use as a scraper, and sandpaper, plus a rattail file for the nock grooves. I do all mine by hand since I have no space for power tools, etc. Plus, I just enjoy doing mine all by hand.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 02:27:47 pm »
You could make a bow with only a draw knife but I hardly use one except maybe for roughing a bow out.
Mostly use a good wood rasp Nicholson #49 $35 to $50, a few scrapers you can buy a set of 3 for about $10 or make your own, and a chainsaw file
for cutting nock groves, sand paper and some type of sealer.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 02:56:11 pm »
it's more or less a matter of preference. mine is a six and a half foot unbacked hickory english longbow. not anything like pretty, but extreamyl smooth.
lets just shoot it