Author Topic: de-hairing a hide  (Read 4380 times)

Offline Hickoryswitch

de-hairing a hide
« on: November 10, 2008, 10:28:05 pm »
I have several hides that a scraped and dry that I would like to get the hair off of. They were given to me already dried. I would like to get the hair off of a couple of them. I wasn't sure where to start since they're already dry. Can I just do them like a fresh hide and slip the hair with ashes and water?
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: de-hairing a hide
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 01:01:26 am »
The hair can be removed either dry or wet I think. Dry would be less messy. Someone will come along with a real answer. ::)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 10:46:56 am »
I would soak it and scrape it wet.
hear bucking it with ashes or KOH helps but dont have much experience myself. I removed hair on a small one dry and just used sand paper and a scraper and it was less messy but harder.
have you checked out braintan.com or PP?
luck.
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:10:17 pm »
No I haven't looked into it a whole lot. Everything I've read talks about fresh hides. I guess i'll get a small piece and try it. If it works good if not I won't ruin a whole hide. Thanks everyone.
Wayne Silverthorn

orcbow

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 10:30:05 pm »
You can do it either wet or dry, age is no matter, and the hair will slip with just water to soak, but it may take longer. Just change the water every day unless you like stinky things alot :P.  I prefer dry scraping, in a frame, and working standing up. If you want to just make rawhide for bow backing, though, the wet-soak method is really simple and hard to mess up.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 10:40:30 pm »
wet soak...leave it stinky...if you can handle it....bacteria make the Hair slip...I change the water only if it gets rank....otherwise I let Nature do Her job....takes about 3-5 days and the hair will slip right off...even faster if you use Lime....but then you have to neutralise it with Vinegar........
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome