Author Topic: Another un!  (Read 10979 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Another un!
« on: November 11, 2008, 08:28:20 am »
Well I finally got another deer last week...took a little longer then I thought it would after getting my first this year the opening afternoon of bow season.

I had carried my climbing stand and was set up in among some white oaks that were dropping acorns and showed some feeding sign. Right at dark what looked like six does came in and started feeding on one of the oaks about 25 yards away. After ten minutes or so a large doe started easing my way and the others were following. She was about 12 yards and I was just beginning to draw because she was getting broadside, when she looked up at me. You can guess what happened, she wheeled and deer were running everywhere. I saw one of the younger deer standing still facing me at about 18 yards. I realized a frontal shot is not a desirable shot, and I don't promote taking it...I just had a moment of weakness, please forgive me! The shot looked good but I wasn't for sure of just where I had hit the deer in the fading light. I tracked it only about 20 yards where it was getting into some thick cover and decided to back off it and get some help and give the deer some time. We ate our dinner and Pappy, Anthony and I returned to track it. It was a short track, the deer probably didn't run over 40-50 yard's and was dead seconds after the shot.

The arrow had struck straight on in the neck and exited just in front of the right hind leg. The 600+ grain cane arrow had performed well out of my hhb bow. The arrow was still in good shape. The deer turned out to be a button buck field dressing at 60 lbs even.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline TRACY

Re: Another un!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 09:29:30 am »
Looks like you got the job done! Looks like those cane arrows are holding up. Nice harvest!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 09:42:17 am »
Nice deer Greg. Looks like you got some serious penetration. I wouldn't recommend trying that shot on a bigger deer though them little ones ain't near as tough.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 08:45:06 pm »
Congrat's Greg! So you FINALLY got another un? I'll be glad when I get one ::) ;D. Good job..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 09:28:15 pm »
Hech yea Greg!
Mililani Hawaii

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 10:21:24 pm »
  There you go, Greg! Was that one of those Tonkin's?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Ranger B

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 10:52:10 pm »
the Hophornbeam slays another. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 06:23:53 am »
I think I have seen that one,nice job Greg,shoot um length wise.  ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 08:07:39 am »
Was that one of those Tonkin's?

No Eddie, not yet...that was a local river cane arrow. Anthony and I have started on the tonkin though, right now in the process of weighing them and cutting them into a couple of different lengths depending on the diameter and a guess at the spine. We'll spine test them later...one step at a time right now.

Thanks everyone!   :)
Greg

Dustybaer

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 05:04:13 pm »
congratulations, my friend.  interesting bow quiver you have there.  could you show some close ups, whenever you have the time?

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 01:44:13 pm »
Thanks Marius! I'll try and post a close-up of the quiver some time. It is basically a strap on design. I have some rawhide separating the metal portion of the quiver from the bow both for quietness and protecting the limbs.
Greg

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 03:42:39 pm »
NICE!  I cannot wait until December.....our archery season opens in september....but TOOOO many hunters out and about for my tastes....so I start in decmeber.....when it is cold and the fair weather fellers stay at home.....
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline BearG

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 03:19:41 pm »
nice one greg
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline Brother Dan

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 10:48:22 pm »
Congrats Greg, some reason all I can think of is the chow line for her.

Brother Dan
Cleves, Ohio

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 08:16:22 am »
Thanks! Yeah Dan, I'm sure her meat will help supply the chow line at the club...  ;)
Greg