Author Topic: Where's my stand?  (Read 8709 times)

salad days

Where's my stand?
« on: November 11, 2008, 03:35:09 pm »
Went out to my best stand today and I could tell something wasn't right before I was half way out there. My trail was wider with many broken sticks and branches and I have been VERY careful not to disturb the area too much all season. Its funny how tuned in your insticts get after a month of hunting. I new 10 minutes into my morning sneek in that someone else had carelessly trampled my trail and that my favorite treestand was probably gone. Sure enough it was. Also sure enough someone has a new stand hung about 50 yards further down the natural funnel between the two marshes. They will more than likely kill one or both of the nice swamp bucks I've been chasing all season on Saturday morning which is the opening day of the Michigan firearm deer season. I had a great chance a week ago on one of these bucks but just could not get a clear shot and saw the other bigger one chasing five does across the swamp. Does this kind of crap happen everywhere or is it just a Michigan thing? This is the second stand i've had stolen in two years. Where have the sportsman gone?

Offline stickbender

Re: Where's my stand?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 04:47:32 pm »

Yep, Poo Poo happens.  It seems that some think that it is first come, first serve.  They see a nice stand, and if it is not occupied, then they just assume that is there for them.

Wayne

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 06:00:56 pm »
When i was in KS. i had a hang on stolen and they left the climbing sticks that were worth more then the stand.. some ppl..
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 06:06:55 pm »
Takes balls to hang one back up in the same area you stole one from though don't it. I'd be sitting in his stand come first light on opening day of gun season. Is this on public or private land? You know its illegal to leave a stand up over night in most state owned public land. At least it is in PA and OH. Also you can not cut or damage tree's in anyway. Just something to think about. I've had several stands stolen over the years but, not for a long time. I'm very careful about leaving them in a place where they wont be seen by other hunters.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

salad days

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 06:14:30 pm »
These fools around here stole my sticks too. They left my strap that holds my harness up in the tree. I almost left my backpack up there the other night and decided at the last minute to take it with me. What erks me even more than my stand being gone is that my prime spot is now ruined, for me anyway. I did all the work scouting it out, finding the rub lines, scrapes, patterned two nice bucks, passed on a bunch of does to get a chance at the boss and had a theif take it all away from me. I'm feeling sour grapes today for sure.

salad days

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 06:18:55 pm »
In Michigan you can hang stand two week before the season starts and it has to be out of the woods by two weeks after it closes. Its is also illegal to harm the tree in any way. I thought hunting in that spot for firearm season but then I'm gonna get in a fight out in the woods with a guy with a gun and no ethics. I'll pass.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 06:40:45 pm »
Michigan is bad and the UP is no exception, had my own bad experience on private land this year >:(
The flood of hunters ::) from down below into the UP is starting now, expect a bumper crop this year with the baiting
ban in place down there. I feel for ya.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 06:50:19 pm »
Takes balls to hang one back up in the same area you stole one from though don't it. I'd be sitting in his stand come first light on opening day of gun season. Is this on public or private land? You know its illegal to leave a stand up over night in most state owned public land. At least it is in PA and OH. Also you can not cut or damage tree's in anyway. Just something to think about. I've had several stands stolen over the years but, not for a long time. I'm very careful about leaving them in a place where they wont be seen by other hunters.

yup,same same here in MN also,i wouldn't sit in his stand,guaranteed argument/confrontation with some armed dude,thanks but no thanks.

instead,what i would do if it was on public land is get a few guys together,a case of beer. sit there and drink it, and everytime someone had there fill and needed to empty a bladder
have them do it down the trails and funnels going to his stand,all around his stand etc. and then go out there durng the morning and evening and walk and talk and just be there,cause if it is public land you have the right to be there even if your not hunting.

just my 2 cents on it,dirty rotten thieving bastards.

peace,
                                                                                                   tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

salad days

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 09:24:19 pm »
I'm thinkin my Llewelin setter might have a good day of grouse hunting Friday. I been setting up in that tree watching grouse walk around for weeks. They like the same kind of cover swamp bucks like. ;D If I'm real lucky I could bag a limit of pats and maybe feel like a little justice has been served.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 10:15:46 pm »
 I had it happen to me a few years ago. I hunt mostly public land and it's worse during turkey season. You only want a bird to gobble once.

Anyway one of the Universities did a study and found out that deer can't really tell the difference between human or deer urine. But when the dude not only stole my stand he set it back up for him to use not very far away. It was an old stand, I took a dump in it.  I would have liked to have been there when he got in it in the dark:o
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 10:58:07 pm »

Now there is a place for a hidden camera!  I guess that beats the cigarette butts, and diesel fuel rags, in the area, that I would use.  Yepher, Eddie, that would have been something to see.  Too bad you didn't have the distinguishing marks of a big ol buck to hang on it also.  Just sort of a little kicker for him.  He was probably trying to figure out where that odor was coming from, as he was climbing up to it in the dark.  Lets just hope he was eager to sit down......

Wayne

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 11:48:56 pm »
I had two of my Feeders and 3 Game Cameras stolen last Year on a Private Lease....so it ain't just Da You-Pee and Minny-Soda....it's everywhere....the quality of Sportsman has gone to Sh%t in a Handbasket in the last 10 years....cant trust a soul out there barely
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 11:58:51 pm »
yup i dont even leave my ground blind behind when i go spot and stalk when i am hunting on public land anymore.
people will damn near steal it from you when your inside of it on public land,makes spot and stalk hunting harder,but i have been getting real
creative with burying gear so that i dont have to carry it all the time, a gps is real handy when it comes to finding it again.

its a shame these days when you cant even trust the other hunters to not rob ya blind in the woods.

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 12:05:55 am »
Go to a barber shop or hair salon and get a big bag of hair.  Fill panty hose stockings with it and hang them around his stand.
  Human hair contains a lot of scent, won't be many deer passing close by for a while. ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 06:36:34 am »
Aaron That totally sucks. >:(.  I had my stand stolen on state land ouside the Soo a bit.  I hope that the idiot that stole it falls out the first time he sits in it.
Traverse City, MI