Author Topic: Cedar vs Bamboo  (Read 20019 times)

vCo2v

Cedar vs Bamboo
« on: November 13, 2008, 02:22:35 pm »
I'm sure there's a thread about this somewhere, but was wondering what is the better hitter? As in what hits harder?

Papa Matt

Re: Cedar vs Bamboo
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 02:30:18 pm »
I've not used either for arrows, but I would bet money it would be bamboo. Bamboo is a lot harder and stronger than cedar.

Offline shikari

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 02:49:19 pm »
Bamboo hands down,did a few tests with some arrows,all were shot with the same bow,same distance (15 yrds) and 25 inch draw.
Carbon(vapour 4000)exploded on brick wall
cedar shattered to about 5 pieces
bamboo bounced right off(no damage)

Offline Cromm

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 02:51:01 pm »
Hi,
If you can get bamboo go for that. It's a bit more work but you get a longer lasting arrow,just as long as you don't lose it!!!
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

vCo2v

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 02:53:58 pm »
thanks i guess bamboo will be the choice of arrows

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 03:35:26 pm »
nothing, and i mean nothing, can hold a candle to a well made bamboo/cane arrow.  shoot arrows are fairly tough, but to me, they are more work than bamboo.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 10:40:11 pm »
hey! cane and bamboo are the winners hands down, only problem is you can make 12 cedar arrows in hours and 12 cane/bamboo in a week or more.

btw, I'v screwed up the stainless steel points I put on cane arrows (by that I mean flattened them on rocks) and then after examining the arrow found no damage

Zander

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 10:44:32 pm »
I just started shooting boo shafts after shooting wood for quite a while.  I don't see ever going back to wood.  I am amazed with the flight and strenth of the boo arrows.
Traverse City, MI

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 10:50:43 pm »
Lets see..Hmmm.. I would have to go with Boo/Cane hands down..Cane preferably..

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 12:06:39 am »
unfortunately boo arrows are so hard to make, I'm ordering some wood shafts right now for target arrows. Sitka spruce in my opinion is pretty good, but still don't compare to boo. stronger and lighter than cedar though. >:D

I've heard that as far as wood arras go, hickory and IPE are the toughest of the tough, although quite heave, more suitable for hunting or war arrows i think

when I can get my hands on cane/boo I'd gladly use em, but on the whole they're more expensive and harder to come by

Zander

Shooter_G22

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 02:57:41 am »
i have just recently jumped pn the bamboo band wagon...   i was able to get a few bamboo shafts on a trade from madcrow...   

i have never worked with bamboo... other than shooting the ocasional dried out found bamboo stick as a kid unfletched or tiped but i would love to shoot them cuase it would fly alot futher than the other stuff i shot...

but i have been trying to work some and got a few made...   and i have located a place i could go cut some and i got some more potential shafts drying now...

but i dont know if i am doing them right... i have been trying to straightin them as much as posible..   but the dont get real straight but i still like the way they look and shoot... havnt shot them out at far distance yet just about ten yrds at a homemade box target inside...  been getting alot of rain here and when its not raining im working to make up for lost time at work...

i have to say it is alot of fun making the bamboo arrows i enjoy working with it more than any other material.. but i sure wish i had some professional made ones to compare my work to how it should be done...

i just feel like i knwo there has got to be a better way to get this things straighter...

i love the way they feel when you draw them and the feel of it when it zips free from the release...

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 09:27:32 am »
I just started shooting boo shafts after shooting wood for quite a while.  I don't see ever going back to wood.  I am amazed with the flight and strenth of the boo arrows.

I am in the same boat using river cane and tonkin shafts. Tough!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 10:56:38 am »
Shooter, one of the hardest things for us is to realize we are not working with modern materials and that perfect straightness is not necessary to get a good arrow flight. The most important thing for me is that they fly well...not necessarily how straight they actually are. Once you can make cane(or hardwood shoot)arrows that shoot well, you can concentrate on how straight they are or how good they look. Chris Cade and Art Butner(and others) make cane arrows that are as straight of factory made shafts and I really appreciate the expertise and preciseness they put into their cane arrows. There is no comparison between their arrows and mine but mine will kill just as quickly as the ones they make if I do my job of putting it where it needs to go. ;)  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jamie

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 11:04:10 am »
the natural taper in a boo shaft also allows for better penetration when hunting.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 11:12:09 am »
...plus the natural taper makes them less spine sensitive.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC