Author Topic: Arrow weight?  (Read 5140 times)

Offline Silver Arrow

Arrow weight?
« on: November 13, 2008, 04:02:44 pm »
How do I knw how heavy to make my arrows?    Is there a scale that you can make to wiegh them?  Is there a regulatory chart that says that a bow of this draw weight shoots an arrow that weighs a certian niuumber of grains?  If you could enlighten me on the matter that would be great.   

Thanks, Silver Arrow.

Offline akila

Re: Arrow weight?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 07:45:24 pm »
I dont know how other do, but i usuly try to make my arrows after this formula...10grains per pfound,,,,,so if your bow is 40lbs....the arrow should be 400 grains....this is how i try make my arrows...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 08:49:20 pm »
For hunting arrows I use the 10gr per # also or a bit heavier.   If you only shoot targets a lighter arrow will give you flatter trajectory. I use an old triple beam scale and convert hundredths of an ounce to grains(437.5 gr to the ounce). you can buy an inexpensive digital scale to weigh your arrows from 3Rivers(PA sponsor) and other suppliers.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 10:45:59 pm »
I go with 10-12 gr per pound also.  As Pat B said the digital scale from 3 rivers is great and pretty cheap.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 11:06:09 pm »
              Never less than 15 grains per lb of bow weight. Usually 750 to 800 grains.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 10:09:33 am »
I like to shoot long targets (40-70 yards) with slightly heavier bows (70-80#) and the birch I like run at 8 grains per pound. They don't hit quite as hard as heavier arrows, but for white tail and squirrels I'm not too worried.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 10:45:01 am »
For hunting arrows anything over 500gr is adequate and with modern bows a bit lighter will work fine. I prefer a heavy arrow and practice enough so I know the trajectory. Speed doesn't matter to me. I checked one of my bows with a chrono one time and was very disappointed with the results so I never did it again. I'm positive(without personal experience) that my set up is more than adequate for the animals I hunt.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 10:53:32 am »
I've used arrows in the 350 - 650 grain range, regardless of draw weight....but I am gradually converting to the 10 grain per pound of draw weight formula.

To answer your question, there are no regulations....just suggestions.  There's a lot of test data that supports the idea that heavy arrows fly better and penetrate further.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 11:03:08 am »
A 30# bow will take a deer. At 10gr per pound that is a 300gr arrow. That arrow, if placed where it should be will kill a deer. With a bit more weight and the practice it takes to learn the trajectory of your arrow your chances go up on a good clean kill. If you are only shooting targets your main concern is a flat trajectory so less is left to your instincts but for hunting, another creatures life in involved and the most humane kill is our goal.    Pat

Offline Silver Arrow

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 06:18:57 pm »
Exellent!  Thanks a lot.