Author Topic: Splicing billets the easy way  (Read 45922 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Splicing billets the easy way
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 11:11:47 am »
Radon I have never spliced billets yet, but from my onderstanding folks splice em
together all the time for a selfbow. A properly made and glued splice should be stronger than
the wood itself.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 12:52:23 pm »
Its really great when you have had a few bows blow.  You can splice the two good limbs together. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Eric Kol

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 11:15:32 pm »
Cool tutorial. not as scary as I anticipated. Now I know how to utilize the plum in my yard! Do you pin or dowel the splice point?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 06:58:09 am »
I use them in selfbows a lot,Gray Davis who showed me how to splice did over 100 last year for selfbows,he said he had never had one fail.I know I haven't out of maybe 10 bows that were spliced. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 12:41:45 am »
thanks for the post, I like the idea of drawing out the design on paper insead of measuring on the billets. I also like to drill through the splice from the side and insert a hardwood dowell for added strength. Radon, it wouldnt matter much unless the bow is bending in the handle, even then, the splice is really strong. this splice is also nice because you can induce reflex into your bow. thanks for sharing.

kurogane_84

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 08:56:25 pm »
Thanks Jawge...hope someone can get some use from it   ;D

R

Sorry for the late post, but i know ill use this because its hard to get decent wood in my neck of the woods, and gstoneberg knows that LOL hes used google maps to look my address up and if i say end of the road i means it lol
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 09:08:45 pm by kurogane_84 »

Offline TRACY

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 09:46:35 am »
I tried this method when it first posted and still use it today when I splice. Although, I really like the technique that Mark St. Louis used in an article in PA a couple(?) years ago.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Calamitus

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 04:09:20 pm »
Two questions about splicing. Do you use 1" x 4" splices regardless of the width of the billet? When you make a stiff handle, the block is glued to the spliced area before any shaping is done, don't the cuts to shape the handle run into the glue lines and is that necessarily a problem?

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 12:20:13 pm »
I used this method and work awsome thanks for posting

Offline JEB

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 08:06:33 pm »
Do you pin them with a wood dowel and glue?

We make self bows on thursday nights. One of the guys who has made many self bows had a HH bow and an osage bow break so he splice the two good limbs together. He is still working on that one.  Your thoughts, is it going to work?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2015, 07:02:56 am »
Glad to see you knocked the dust off Gutshot. This was a helpful post and the one I was talking about at Moontree. No need to peg it . I used titebond 3 on a splice and it's still shoots.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956