Author Topic: I don't get it  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Strongbow88

I don't get it
« on: November 16, 2008, 05:21:14 pm »
I have been workin on trying to turn some arrows to my new bow.I planed some arrows down from 3/8 birch dowels to about 50 to 55 spine and fletched one up. to see how it shoots. Ok my new and second bow is 68 inches long made of hickory and draws about 62 pounds at 28 inches it was heat treated and retains 1inch of reflex at rest. Its the top one in the picture. And my first bow is also hickory its 71 inches long and draws about 52 pounds at 28 inches it has almost 2 inches of string follow. its the bottom bow.I have been having trouble with arrow flight out of my new bow so I used dry heat and bent the handle so the string is slightly off center to the side the arrow passes.I can shoot the arrow out of the 52 pound bow and the arrow flight is perfect. but when i shoot it out of the 62 pound bow it acts like it is way stiff.I really concetrated on coming to full draw and a clean release. they are both braced at about 5 3/4 inches.   

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm27/strongbow88/100_1515.jpg
Danny Johnson

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: I don't get it
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 05:31:02 pm »
Way stiff....you mean like it's hitting way to the left?? Is ther Handle area thicker on the New Bow?? Also being a Shorter helps to magnify problems with equipment and techniques.....they sure look like there is more than a 3 inch difference between the two
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Strongbow88

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 07:18:12 pm »
When the arrow comes off the bow the tail end is to the left I shoot right handed. Its angled in the target too from about 10 yards. Both handles are a little over an inch wide.
Danny Johnson

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 08:39:56 pm »
Danny.....when the Arrow hits the Target....which way is the Nock end facing??? Left or eight of Point???

Left would be underspined....right would be overspined........unless I am seriously misinformed!!!!!!!!

I enclosed a Picture of different arrow contacts ....and what they mean

A.
If your bow is in tune this is what you will see, the arrow shaft centered around the fletching.

B.
Move your arrow nocking point down

C.
Move your arrow nock up

D.
Choose a stronger spined (stiffer) arrow, or decrease your point weight

E.
Choose a weaker spined (less stiff) arrow or increase your point weight

F.
You may have a combination of more than one problem resulting in many different impacts..... Work on the two problems separately and make small changes.....

Hope this helps .....

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 08:48:15 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 09:30:30 am »
I would shoot some higher spined arrows out of the 62# and see where your at. Sounds like they're underspined for 62#.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 05:05:02 pm »
Yes, nock left is under spined.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....