Author Topic: New Osage with 1st snake skin  (Read 6812 times)

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
New Osage with 1st snake skin
« on: November 16, 2008, 07:03:35 pm »
This is a bow that I worked on at the Oklahoma Expo. It is very thin ringed and has a lot of zing to it. The skin is one a friend of mine found on the road and gave to me. It is the first snake skin I have done. I think it turned out ok. I split the skin down the back and used each side for each limb. It was barely wide enough. The tip overlays are maple and cocabolo. I didn't get the perfect glue lines I had hoped for on the tips. It has 5 coats of Teak oil and 3 coats of poly. I think the Teak oil made the maple look like bone.
It is 60# @ 28" and 62" ntn.
Thanks for looking.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 07:56:03 pm by Okie1 »
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline DanaM

Re: New Osage with 1st snake skin
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 07:37:25 pm »
Very, very nice Okie I think with the front view profile you hit the tiller quite nicely :)
Any chance of a unbraced picture?
Skins and overlays look very good.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 07:57:43 pm »
Thanks Dana. I added the unbraced picture in the original post. Sorry for the bad picture.

John
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Ranger B

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 08:25:44 pm »
Nice bow.  I love those timber rattler skins.  They are hard to come by.  I've tried to find them for sale with no luck...you have to find them still rattlin'  :-)

Offline PeteC

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 08:37:01 pm »
Nice bow John!It looks like it wants to be taken to the woods and put to work.Good huntin'.  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 08:48:56 pm »
Nice John. Tiller looks great and you did a nice job with the skins. Timber rattlers skins lend themselves very well to splitting lengthwise.  8)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 09:02:53 am »
Thanks for the kind words guys.

John

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 10:05:25 am »
It's a beauty. Congratulations! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 11:48:41 am »
You've got to be proud of this one. Bookmarked, too, for Self Bow of the Month
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 12:21:56 pm »
John, If you notice the skin coming off at the tips(especially the upper), you might consider a thread wrap at each end to hold it down. I've started doing thin on all or the skinned bows I do.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 12:28:22 pm »
Very nice weapon John! Beautiful package overall - let us know when you harvest something with it and good luck..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 12:32:35 pm »
Pat, that's what I've thought about. The more I string and unstring it the worse it's getting. The other end seems fine. I guess I should take more care when unstringing it. I'll try it tonight and see how it looks. You got any pictures of yours?

John

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 02:37:27 pm »
Sweet looking bow.   ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 03:07:36 pm »
That is one of the nicest bows I have seen in a lomng time. How did you do the arrow rest.
live each day the best you can

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 05:04:14 pm »
That is one of the nicest bows I have seen in a lomng time. How did you do the arrow rest.

The floppy rest if one that I finally done that, I think, looks "clean". All the other floppy's I've done never seemed to line up or flow with the handle. This one I cut a strip 1/2" wide and then cut a slot in the side plate for it to fit thru. On the back side the floopy is folded back in oppisite directions and glued down. After glueing it with contact cement I feathered it out on my belt sander to make it smoother. Clear as mud? Maybe on the next one I'll try to remember to take pictures of it before I put it on.

Thanks for the comments

John