Author Topic: 4 fletch cane?  (Read 4594 times)

Offline TRACY

4 fletch cane?
« on: November 18, 2008, 11:48:13 am »
I was reading a past issue where Randall Jones did some "How To's"  on fletching rivercane by splitting the nock end twice and using the top portion of tail & secondary feathers to produce a four fletch arrow. I have tried the two fletch using straightened tail feathers and like the results. Does anyone use this method and what are the benefits? Thanks Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: 4 fletch cane?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 12:08:54 am »
Tracy, I have never seen or heard of this style of fletching. Do you have any pics of it. I can't quite grasp the idea.  ???    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 10:55:28 am »
I remember reading the article in one of the back issues, but have never tried it. Looks interesting.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 03:16:25 pm »
Sorry Pat, I haven't tried this method yet. When I do I'll take pics and post. Looking down on the nock, you'll have an X pattern where you split the cane in half and then half again. Take two 3" sections of tail or secondaries and insert into the splits where the quill of each touches at the center of the shaft. The feather is in essence folded on each side of the quill approx 90 degrees with both quills back to back giving the 4(90 deg.) appearance. Bind the cane above and below the feathers with sinew, silk, etc. Clear as mud . Volume 6 issue 3 by Randall Jones.

Tracy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 03:24:06 pm »
I remember that style from the back issue. I'll have to look it up again and give it a try.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 03:33:14 pm »
I have done a two fletch that way.
It seemed to work best when the split and feather were wrapped.

As I understand it, this meathod can also be used with shoots that have a large soft pith.

David

David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 06:34:42 pm »
Hmmmm...I don't get this part:

The feather is in essence folded on each side of the quill approx 90 degrees.....
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 09:10:11 am »
Jackcrafty, yeah that sounds a little off. When both edges of the feather are bent inward toward the quill it should form an interior angle of 90 degrees.

Ridgerunner, I like the two fletch this way. I get to utilize feathers that I traditionally haven't used.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 06:53:22 pm »

Yes Luke, use the " X " wing fletching......  it's much better than the Ty fletching, of the dark side.

May the bow force be with you......

All resemblances to Star Wars, is purely intentional.

Wayne