Author Topic: Spining Arrows, have questions  (Read 5208 times)

Arthur Herrmann

Spining Arrows, have questions
« on: November 18, 2008, 11:38:30 pm »
I am using dowel rods for arrows. From the 100 that I bought, there is probably 3 ones with good grain in the whole bunch.

When I put a dowel in the spiner, and I spin the arrow, one side is always much stronger than another.

Is there a certain side that is supposed to have the cock feather?

Now if I manage to spine arrows, I have to deal with weight. They can be very, bery different. By the time I finally get two arrows matched, I could have worked at my Uncles to get enough money to buy a dozen more prespined weighed cedars.

I do want to make my own arrows, and I hate using bought shafts on a fine home made bow. If only is wasn't such a science making them arrows.

Offline ZanderPommo

Re: Spining Arrows, have questions
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 12:05:06 am »
you want to spine them oon the stiffer side, meaning a view of the rings from the base of the arrow looks like this: (l l l l) vertically
vertically. and you want to mount the cock feather on the top end of that like this:  l
                                                                                                                  (l l l l)

is that understandable? sorry, its hard to explain

Zander

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 12:14:18 am »
As Zander said the grain lines that run down the shaft are the stiff sides and the stiffest of these should go against the bow...your cock feather will go opposite.
   On shafts that are too stiff you can sand the center portion of the shaft to reduce spine and/or leave them longer than needed.  With any dowel shafting you will have grain run off. If it is not to drastic they should be OK for arrows.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Arthur Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 07:49:07 pm »
Okay, so when I load my arrow into the spiner, I want the cock feather up?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 08:40:44 pm »
Spine it both directions(180deg) on the grain sides and put the stiffest of the two against the bow and the cock feather opposite that. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Arthur Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 09:34:44 pm »
Sweet, thanks.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 08:13:51 pm »
Art, eve though only 3 are perfect, almost all of them will make arrows. I'm shooting the same stuff and only 15 had to be culled, and my bows go up to 75-80#.

vCo2v

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 09:23:06 pm »
so against the bow meaning that if you're a right hand shooter, you want the stiffer part of the arrow facing to the right right?

And your cock feather is to the opposite side of the stiffer side correct?

I'm new to the terminologies  :o

and by the way arthur

which wood did you buy and how much for that 100

and where did you buy them at?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 12:05:54 am »
vCo2v, yes!...and yes! ;D

vCo2v

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 02:39:00 am »
why is it that the stiffer side is facing the bow?

Is it so that there is less archer's paradox? because the stiffness helps prevent it from flexing?

Or is it to help make sure the arrow doesn't shatter?

Franklyn A

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 08:53:53 am »
Sorry to eavesdrop and/or meddle here members, but I wanted to let you know how I determine the side of the arrow that rests against the bow. This works well with cedar and straight grained woods. I find the " V " in the grain which points to the tip and use that as the working end and then put the nock crosswise to the " V " and it seems to position the arrow consistently. If you spine them the same way, a matched set can be obtained. This is hard to do with some wild grained arrows like ramin and in those case I would revert to the highest spine weight for a given arrow. Just my thouights.