Author Topic: The one that got away - missed opportunity this morning  (Read 4212 times)

Ranger B

The one that got away - missed opportunity this morning
« on: November 19, 2008, 01:19:13 pm »
Well, I got on the stand this morning at 5:30 and by 5:50ish I heard steps. Sounded like three deer moving along slowly. By 6:00 I heard what sounded like a deer in the field to my right front. It was getting daylight and soon I saw a deer jump the old one strand fence to my front. It seems to be getting pushed because that's not where they usually cross and it ran a few steps before stopping. That is when I saw another deed coming straight towards me along the edge of the field.

This deer had his head down and I could see a big rack. I got ready as he sniffed along on a perfect line. I decided where I wanted to get the shot and he went to it. It was about 7-8 yards in front of me but when he stopped he was directly facing me with his head down. I needed him to turn either way. I had the bow ready and then he turned. I began to draw the bow but he took a step and in a milisecond I decided that it would be an even better shot if I waited until he walked around the tree to my right....big mistake. He went behind the tree but they walked at a 45 degree angle away from me leaving me with no shot. He was a 10 pointer and a beauty at that. It would have been the largest buck I've ever taken with a bow. He rubbed his head and neck on every bush until he disappeared. I'm still not sure why he willingly left the other deer unless it was another buck that he had ran off.

A little while later I caught a glimpse of another deer walking but not coming my way. At 10:00 I looked left and an extremely large spike was headed straight to me. He got to about 10 yards and the debate went on and on in my head. Do I shoot this spike or not? Finally, he caught my wind and became alert then did a 180 and began walking off so I didn't shoot.

I had a chance to shoot that 10 pointer and I hesitated. Those opportunities don't come along every day so I'm beating myself up pretty good over that one.

Below are some pictures from my stand. The one with the broadhead pointing down to the ground shows exactly where the buck was at. The one with the arrow going horizontally with the tree line shows the line he walked to me.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: The one that got away - missed opportunity this morning
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 04:40:58 pm »
that is why we call it hunting instead of killing... great pics and looks like some nice country you are hunting ... be safe and happy hunting HAWK
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Big A

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 05:02:59 pm »
Jimmy I know that big guy will haunt your dreams. I have too many to think about that haunt mine. But don't beat on yourself to hard they are what keep us going back. Maybe next time.
Big A

Offline Susquehannock

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 06:56:53 pm »
I think you made a good choice to wait. Looks like where he stopped he would have been quartering toward you. Maybe you'll see him again soon ;)

Offline lowell

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 08:37:44 pm »
Events like the one you describe are what make your success's even sweeter!!! 

Good luck... hope you get him!!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Ranger B

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 08:53:37 pm »
Yep, I can't wait to get back out.  Hey here is another photo I took today.  Osage sure is beautiful.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 09:03:02 pm »
Too bad about that Jimmy. I had a similar situation last year (haven't killed one with self bow yet). Was still hunting a doe when a nice eight walked straight to me through the brush and stopped at about 12 yards broadside with his head behind a big oak. I was about to draw on him but there were about three little limbs in the way, a second later he walked out and busted me - makes ya second guess yourself.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 10:31:04 pm »
  Well Jimmy, We all say we can't eat horns,,, but it would sure be nice to try and naw on some good ones. ;) He'll be bigger next year, and you didn't help educate him this year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 05:46:24 am »
Sounds like a great morning,I have had that happen several times and it dose make you second guess yourself,but I would say you made the right decision.Maybe today. I will be at the cabin
all next week,come by and see me if you get the chance. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 10:32:33 am »
a familiar story in my hunting.  had two does come out on my last tue. afternoon.  came in to 12 yards but ended up dead down wind.  you can guess the rest of the story.  looks like you need to get a tree pruner in there and cut more shooting lanes through the limbs.  them things can really jump out and grab an arrow just before dark.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 09:45:13 pm »
Ranger B, good story. Sounds like one that has occured countless times down thru the millenia. I have just begun the endeavor of hunting the elusive whitetail deer and I already have more than one story that is similar. I intend to start another thread detailing the adventure so I won't hijack your thread with the details.  I'm sure the rush you got was just as real as if you had taken the shot only with a different outcome so it is really all just part of the journey. I heard those bigguns are tough meat anyways. Who needs em.  Lol.     Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God