Author Topic: family blade  (Read 5965 times)

Offline Blacktail

family blade
« on: November 23, 2008, 01:39:22 am »
This is a picture of all three of us out at Glass Butte after digging up the mother load of sheen obsidian. We all three dug this rock up and decided  I would try and make a family blade out of it. It took me three different tries until I got a blade going on one piece.The last photo is of our family blade. It is the longest blade I have done. It is eleven inches long and I was hoping to keep it in one piece and just to gain an inch. It is the longest blade I have so I achieved my goals.  HOpe you enjoy, later John.

Offline Keenan

Re: family blade
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 02:14:47 am »
 Now thats what we like to see Good job John, That looks like it was about as big or bigger then that rock I found. How in the world did you get that in the truck? 

Oh ya How come I didn't get a call to run out there??? ;D Just teasing coulldn't have gone if you would have .

Congratulations nice score and nice blade. 

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 09:40:56 am »
Wow! What a blade - that is an accomplishment. Wish I could make it out to the Butte's sometime :'( ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 11:31:43 am »
thanks keenan,paul...i love doing bigger blades its all way anadventure...maybe one day i can get up into the 20 incher range.paul,you really need to go to glass buttes at least once.later john

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 11:48:39 am »
THAT IS WAY COOL 8) :o 8)

i really admire what you folks can do to a pice of glass or rock.

maybe someday i will get enough courage to try it.

damn that is just too cool.one heck of a blade,cant wait to see it hafted to something

peace,
                                                                                               tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

PeteDavis

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 12:16:02 pm »
The Neolithic family unit rocks together!
Cool piece from that wavy rock!
PD

Offline bowmo

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 12:37:50 pm »
Nice blade....and that's a heck of a rock! Man I can not wait till I move to an area that has good stone, or knappable stone at all for that matter, it is rough here in IL.

dan

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 01:39:31 pm »

Man, just put that boulder, in the mail, and I will pay shipping and handling.  I need something to pay Eddie back for the unbelieveable gift that he gave me last night, after we got back from Claude Van Oder's house, and a mini knapp in.  I came home with a beautiful bow.  I could hardly get to sleep last night.  That boulder, would make a great door stop, and conversation piece......Man that is a beautiful blade.  That definetly should go in a glass case, on the mantel or securely on the wall.  Something nice to pass down to the generations to come.  "Yeah, I don't know how it was made.  It was made by my great, great, Grand father......It's been in the family for some time.  I understand it is quite valuable, but we don't want to sell it.  I guess I will have to do some research on it, and see if I can find out how it was made. " Just think of your son, telling his children, and grand children, of the fact that he was there, when you all dug it up the big boulder, or obsidian, and how he watched you knapp out the blade.  And how incredibly sharp the stuff was......It is good to see, a Family enjoying the outdoors, and the same hobbies.

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 02:57:45 pm »
 Wow! now that's a knife! ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 01:44:10 am »
i have to say you guys are great...i really wish we could all get together and do some chipping.thanks john

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 03:16:41 pm »
 Nice rock,great looking blade. That banded stuff is my favorite material to work.Makes beautiful points. Thanks for sharing !   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 11:22:11 pm »
John thats an awsome blade and rock. How do you know where to dig? When I was there last Monday even if I had a shovel with me I wouldnt know where to dig. So I only ended up with handful size rocks. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 12:20:09 pm »
hey joel,how are you doing.great to hear from you...the rocks we have there are silver sheen...and this area has bigger rocks....when i get to a pit i allways look at the walls of the pit and try to find a rock that has a big or long face to it.and then i do some pecking around the rock to find seems and to find how big the face of the rock is..now this rock is one my wife found and it was next to the pit on the surfuce.when she dug this one up there was one more just as big....and they both where in the 200-300 pound range...most pits have small rock near the surfuce and you have to dig straight down to get the big stuff and others have big rock on top(under dirt)...once i find a big rock in a pit i allways dig it out...i never give up on the rock and leave it that makes it easy for some one else to dig it out.too me the silver sheen area is like the dacite area where there are bigger rocks near the surfuce...I hope this helps if you have any more questions just yell.john

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 06:21:13 pm »
 :) :) Great Blade.  I used to make a trip or two every year from Battle Ground.  My partner had a map that gave some good directions to the various kinds of obsidian.  I have one of those maps somewhere, but haven't seen it for a while.  I like the midnight lace only because you never know what it will look like inside when its finished.  The rock hounds like the electric blue and a big chunk will sell for big bucks.  There is one place where the obsidian is really tough and that's what I used for hunting points.  We always stopped by Richardson's Rock ranch to dig for agate and jasper.  Will get back there someday.  I can tell you digging out those big boulders is a lot of work.  Seems they are always wedged into the bank!  Good to see a family like yours willing to work hard for the reward of such a great blade!  Watcher

Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 06:59:53 pm »
Yep! Nice one. Know exactly where ya got it to. Good rock comes out of that area. Try the pumpkin patch too. Can get some nice stuff out of there also. The lace pit is tough to work to get good rock but some nice stuff is out of there too.

Keenan, I think I know where the green dacite is. We will have to go get some this time at the knapp Inn. John, you going to the knapp Inn this March? If so you have to join Keenan, Dave Cheney (Juniper Junkie) and I. Its a lot of fun!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill