Author Topic: Privet and Bamboo Sets  (Read 5300 times)

Offline Mechslasher

Privet and Bamboo Sets
« on: November 23, 2008, 10:07:46 am »
the first set is japanese arrow bamboo with wood nocks and stone points.  the points are attached with pitch and sinew.  the feathers are wrapped with silk.  they weigh in between 500 - 575gr. 

the second set is made of privet stained with pokeberry juice.  they are 32" long, self nocked, and the feathers are wrapped with silk.  these are heavy weights, 750-800gr.  i found these shafts one day as i was walking to my stand.  there is a hedge that runs several hundred yards along a railroad track.  as i was making my way through one day i noticed several long, very straight shoots.  why not i thought, maybe privet is usefull afterall.  i let them dry for a month and worked them down to 75# spine.  i debated about putting stone point on the ends, but ended up using ww's.  both were sealed using my special blend of bees wax and olive oil.  enjoy!

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Privet and Bamboo Sets
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 10:26:24 am »
Some beautiful arra's and points! Something I gotta do more of, arrow's are such a pain to make that I have to force myself to get started :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 10:56:48 am »
Man !, that is a pretty set of arrows.Those stone tipped beauties look like they could take care of biddness ! Great looking work.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 03:40:02 pm »
Very nice arrows Chris. I knew there had to be purple in there somewhere! ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 06:31:41 am »
Nice use of privet.  I was thinking of trying that sometime.  How does it hold up?
Traverse City, MI

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 09:41:41 am »
Chris, very nice sets of arrows! I'm gonna check the poke when I get home to see if there are a few berries left, that is really nice stain.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

AKAPK

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 02:02:35 am »
Mechslasher , where did ya get the Silk?

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 01:33:15 pm »
either 3 rivers or ebay.  i think i use size E.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 05:39:09 pm »
Wow Chris, you are getting good on those arrows. How big around was the privet you used? I tried some a couple of years ago but couldn't get over about 40# spine for a 600 grain shaft. Might have been just the batch I got. I think I wil give it another shot.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 01:00:50 am »
i think mine ended up around 3/8" in diameter to get a 70-75# spine.  i cut them in the 1/2" range.  i let them dry for about a month before working them down.  they may pick up a little more spine as they finish curing.  so far, i'm not impressed with privet.  they are a chore to keep straight.  give me cane any day.

G. Gordon Liddy

tommy6

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 09:57:23 am »
Beautiful arrows! That poke berry makes a great dye, too bad it fades so fast. I have heard that coating the dyed area with marine spar varnish with UV inhibitors slows the process down considerably, never tried it though.
What did you use to reduce the diameter so evenly?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 10:05:57 am »
I have made a few arrows with privet. It makes a good heavy indestructibly arrows but they are hard to keep straight.   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Roy

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 11:23:11 am »
Very nice Chris.

Offline Susquehannock

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 07:27:23 pm »
I like the natural stain. I dyed a couple flu-flu arrows this fall with Pokeberry. Did you seal the arrows after they were stained? I found the pokeberry wanted to rub off on my hands if I didn't seal the shafts.