Author Topic: hill cane harvest begins  (Read 9430 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
hill cane harvest begins
« on: November 23, 2008, 05:47:23 pm »
Like every morning, I took my dogs for a walk this morning. Along our driveway we have a few clumps of hill cane(Arundaneria appalachiana) growing and this morning I collected these. I walked into a clump of cane, squatted down and collected these 16 culms from right around me. After a few years of management, I think it's gonna be a good year. ;) 8)
   There are a few folks out there that I have promised cane to this year. If you see this, please send me a PM if you are one of them. You other guys don't try to slip one past me! >:(  If I get plenty, I will offer up bundles of cane on the Trading Post later.
   This is the first I have collected for the 2009 season. I also plan to collect sourwood shoots for those that are interested. I'll post about them after I begin collecting them.
   Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: hill cane harvest begins
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 06:11:29 pm »
Hey Pat.........I am not one of them...but if there is anyone out there that would dig me up some Rhizome and send it to me....I would be happy to pay shipping.......... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 06:29:56 pm »
Mike, I'll see what I can do!  ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 06:55:10 pm »
I will do Anything to Beautify the Texas Panhandle....and enhance my ability to harvest Arrow Shafts!!! All we have here is Phragmites....and they are limiteds to about a 100 miles from Me....and not worth messing with for me......... :'(
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 09:03:22 pm »
Looks like some good shafts there Pat. I've been driving past clumps of Jap arrow boo here in the hurricane destruction zone for the past week and haven't snipped a one, also palm trees laying around everywhere. I'm going home in the morning and am ashamed for not gathering. I did however get a bucket of chert out of the jobsite - just thinking out loud..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 07:25:48 am »
got plenty of cane but would trade ya for some sourwood shoots.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 09:25:43 am »
Chris, I'll let you know when I get a mess of them.   Pat

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 09:38:01 am »
Pat, I would love to try some of those sourwood shoots if you get out to harvesting some later on. I'm sure I have something you"need".

Thanks Tracy

It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 11:43:59 am »
Tracy, I'll post when I have them. Please remind me.    Pat

tommy6

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 09:51:38 am »
Hey Pat B
Happy Thanksgiving from Camel City!
We have a lot of river cane in this part of NC and I have used some for arrows. The problem is usually that the area around the nodes usually has a big divot in it. I forget exactly what its called, but its where the leaf springs up from the culm.
How does Hill cane compare?
Also I dont know if anyone has done this but have you heard of backing a bow with a section of large diameter cane?
Happy hunting!
Tom

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 10:04:13 am »
Tom, the hill cane has very little divot at the node compared to river cane. Switch cane is somewhere in the middle. All three are Arundaneria and all 3 are native to the US.
   I think Tim Baker, in one of the first TBBs wrote about using strips of thin boo, laid parrallel to the bow, as a backing. As long as they go from tip to tip there shouldn't be a problem. I think he disassembled a bamboo shade to get the strips.  I've have never tried it.     Pat

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 11:47:26 am »
Tom, you just have to be pickier when cutting river cane. You can get shafts without the big sulcate divots-crawl into the middle of the patch and find the smaller canes that don't have branches near the bottom. Only use the first section of cane right above the ground, the higher up the stem you get, the worse the divots get. There is also a lot of chinese bamboo naturalized in NC (many people call it river cane.) Even the smaller stems of it are pretty dished out, much more so than the native cane.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 07:52:47 pm »
Pat.  I would love to try some of the sourwood shoots as well, if you get any extra.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 12:22:26 am »
Just remind me when the times comes.  ;) 

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 02:53:32 am »
Pat, I think you could start a side business with that cane there!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill