Author Topic: hill cane harvest begins  (Read 9431 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hill cane harvest begins
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 09:57:42 am »
...but David, then it becomes a business! ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mole

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 05:35:11 pm »
Pat, you think that stuff will grow down here in my neck of the woods?

John
Northeast Georgia

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 06:59:44 pm »
John, if not hill cane, river cane or switch cane will. They are all cousins.  What altitude are you?   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mole

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 11:05:15 pm »
865 ft / 263 m or there abouts.  My patch or river cane died off and I'm looking for something to replace it.  The only shafts I have left are those three buffalo nut shoots you gave me.

John
Northeast Georgia

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 09:31:53 am »
John, I bet it would probably grow there. What happened to the river cane? When a patch of cane blooms, it often dies.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 10:16:27 am »
John, I'll be digging some rhizomes for Steve. I'll do a pot for you also so you can try it and see.  ;)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 02:58:18 pm »
Nice haul Pat . I have been out lookin around here but it is all to small . I guess I will have to wait and check it next season. I got a supply of bigger bamboo growing near my house. It is dern near 20ft tall . Some of it is almost as big around as a beer can. Makes good darts and spears .
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 04:24:48 pm »
Pat, can I get in on some rhizomes too? I dont know if it would grow arround here but I would sure like to try. Japanese arrow bamboo seems to love it up here but my plot disapeared when I sold my house and I never got to try it out!  >:(

David
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mole

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2008, 11:20:32 am »
Hillbilly, it bloomed and has been steadily dieing off.  There are a few left, but not of suitable quality.

Pat,  I'd appreciate that.  From what I recall that cane you have looked good.  Any advice about how to plant it?  I plan on putting on the creek bank.

John
Northeast Georgia

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2008, 11:38:57 am »
John, For years I tried to eliminate this cane from my property with no success. Once it gets started it should grow with no problem and a creek side is ideal for it...although the hill cane seems to do OK on high ground too.
   Bamboos are strange critters when it comes to blooming. The bloom periods are far apart, sometimes only every 100 to 150 years. But when it blooms, every plant is that specie will bloom and die no matter where it is in the world. I'm not sure the life cycle of our native Arundaneria but I would think it would be typical.
   David, I have no problem sending some rhizomes to you as long as the Washington Dept of Ag has no problem with it. These local guys can carry it over state lines and have it planted without much scrutiny and the specie is indigenous to the South East.  I'm pretty sure it will survive in your area. I believe our weather extremes are more varied here than there.     Pat

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2008, 02:55:59 pm »
Pat I dont think it will be a problem. I will be putting in some barriers so it cant escape. Pluss, Jap arrow bamboo is everywhere and its not native. Grown as an ornamental but it takes over.

Thanks Pat I sure apreciate it!

David
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Roy

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2008, 06:15:08 am »
Those are nice Pat, but what are sourwood shafts?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2008, 09:21:09 am »
Roy, sourwood is a small tree (Oxydendrum arboreum) that grows in dry woods throughout the East. The suckers and shoots from it make good arrow shafts.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Roy

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2008, 11:42:40 am »
Ok thanks Hillbilly.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2008, 04:15:37 pm »
...but David, then it becomes a business! ::)

Yeah! Tell me about it. Make one bar of soap and give it away and the next thing you know the ladies are buying it from you and your putting in over 90 hours a week and then some!  Go figure!!!!  ;D