Author Topic: 8 Point from Pappy's Place!  (Read 28223 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
8 Point from Pappy's Place!
« on: November 25, 2008, 05:18:55 pm »
I was fortunate to harvest my fourth deer this season the next morning after I took a 4 point. I decided to retire my hhb bow after the 4 point and use an osage bow that Pappy gave me this year. I think he made the bow in 2004 and took at least a couple of deer with it. It is a real performer and pulls 53 lbs. at my draw. I was using cane arrows and they seemed to fly better out of Pappy's bow with a few pounds heavier draw weight then my hhb bow.

I shot this deer out of another one of the stands Pappy has fine tuned over the years of hunting his farm. It was the "Oaks Stand" behind the cabin. This buck came walking straight into the stand and I was waiting for it to turn to one side or another when at about 8 yards it looked up at me and then wheeled and run a few yards. It stopped and was standing broadside at about 17 yards when I took the shot. Those cane arrows with turkey feathers aren't the best for following the arrow flight and I loss sight of the arrow. I even thought I might have shot over it's back...I set in the stand another hour and saw five does before getting down. Looking for the arrow I first found the back half of it, and ten yards or so further found the bloody front half.  I tracked the deer about 100 yards until I got to a thicket and thought I heard a deer run and then fall...I backed off the track and went back to the cabin. After another 1-1/2 hours Pappy, Terry and I went back and found the buck dead 50 yards or so from where I had quit tracking. Apparently when I shot the deer it went to run and instead of hitting it broadside, the arrow entered about 4 inches in front of the right hind leg and exited just behind the left shoulder. Knicked the gut, and got liver and 1 lung with the shot. Pappy's osage bow with a 600+ grain cane arrow really performed well I thought considering the shot placement. On a side note, we went and got Pappy's hound Saddie prior to fielddressing the deer to give her some practice tracking...she done good!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 11:43:57 pm by GregB »
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

Re: 8 Point from Pappy's Place!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 05:57:38 pm »
Nice one Greg, you guys are deer killing fools eh ya'all :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 06:48:11 pm »
Way to go Greg!  I can't wait to get down there and hunt some.  I don't really care if I sling an arrow, I just need to get away for a day or two.

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 07:36:23 pm »
 Nice one Greg. Man you are having a good year. I got to get up there with you guy's next year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 08:18:37 pm »
Nice Greg. Are you done now? Ya'll are only allowed two bucks a year right? We can only shoot one here.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 08:43:04 pm »
Nice one Greg! Yer kickin er into high gear here lately ;D. Congrat's again bud...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Ranger B

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 09:47:21 pm »
You're on a roll brother!!  I went over to hunt with you gents today but you had gone home to rest from all the deer slaying.  Pappy, Frodo and I went but we didn't see anything.  I'll see you later this week.
Congrats again.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 11:50:11 pm »
Thanks everyone!
Eddie, hope you can make it next year. ;)

Thanks Ryan, the buck limit is three...and of course there's the three does per day for the entire season!  :)

Appreciate it Paul, good luck huntin'!

Thank ya Jimmy, sorry I missed you today...I was probably snoozin'. ;D I plan to head back over either Thursday evening or Friday...
Greg

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 12:13:46 am »
great job brother, eat some tenderloin for me, Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 12:21:12 am »
great job brother, eat some tenderloin for me, Hawk

Thanks Hawk! I won't have any trouble fulfilling that request!  ;D
Greg

Ranger B

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 06:36:10 am »
Greg, I'll be over Fri or Sat.  Sawfiler is coming down and I want to meet him.  I missed him at the Classic.  Pappy took his new "unfinished" Osage with him yesterday afternoon.   It was shooting like a champ right before we left but nothing seemed to be moving.  We hunted across the road and I hunted that stand where you can see the road, inside the little cove.  I thought I heard fighting just across the road on that little point and a SUV came by right after that and stopped and looked down into the bean field.  Must have seen deer.  Anyway, it's 4:30 a.m. and I've got to get to the woods here in a minute.  See you in a day or two.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 08:59:13 am »
Good Job!  Wish I was there to help with that back strap!!  What did you use for the hunting point?  Hope to get down there and meet some of you fellows.  There are some really good hunters in your bunch!!  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 10:44:18 am »
You the man Greg! Another nice one with cane.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 12:04:13 pm »
 Nice fat deer.Congratulations on a fine kill.Happy Thanksgiving !    Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline John K

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 12:33:30 pm »
Nice buck GregB ! Looks like some fine eating  ;D
The only way to fail is to never start !