Author Topic: Buckthorn as Bow Wood?  (Read 6353 times)

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
Buckthorn as Bow Wood?
« on: November 26, 2008, 01:05:50 pm »
Howdy Group,

I just reread Gordon's recent posting of his lastest bow - a real beauty!!  That bow is made of Hawthorn.  But, from Gordon's description of the wood, he could have been talking about Buckthorn, with it commonly growing in hedge rows, and being very thorny.

Here, in the Midwest, Buckthorn is all too common.  It's an aggressive, invasive, thorny "bush" that grows like a tree.  Its inner bark is orangish, and its heartwood is more yellowish.  The wood seems dense and tough (when trying to remove it from a local nature area.)  But, I don't think it is a member of the Rose Family as is Hawthorn and Osage.

Below, is a link to a description of Buckthorn...
http://www.ipaw.org/invaders/buckthorn/index.htm

My question is, has anyone tried to make a bow from Buckthorn?  Is anyone willing to try?

I don't think I have the skill level to give this a good try, nor do I have the time.  (It's taking for ever to get moving on the four or five bow projects I have already started - I don't need another project.)

So, let us know if you have any thoughts or input on Buckthorn as Bow Wood.

All the best, and Happy Thanksgiving,
Canoe

And build a bow with/for a kid!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 01:09:55 pm by Canoe »
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline bcbull

Re: Buckthorn as Bow Wood?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 01:24:59 pm »
 yes wolly buckthorn will make a good bow  i bought a stave last year  made a flat bow out of  it   it s real pretty to look at  but i didnt get the poundage i wanted  so i sinew back d it if i rember it fall sin the 64 - 69 hardness area   go for it    sorry i dont have pic  to post of  it i sold it right after i made it  brock

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 02:38:37 pm »
Canoe I believe he made his bow from our (western US) native tree black hawthorn (Crataegus douglasii). Taint the same stuff.
Dave
NW Montana

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 06:50:54 pm »
Don't know about the other buckthorns, but I have seen several nice bows on here made from cascara, which is one of the buckthorns native to the Northwest.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

brian melton

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 09:16:19 pm »

Think what Gordon has is black hawthorn, common in low land wetlands. It can grow upright as a tree, or shrublike....blooms in the spring with lots of white flowers.

Brian

Offline bcbull

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 03:15:48 am »
 guys i know for a fact they are 2 diffrent wood ss!!! ur correct on the hawthorn  and the buckthorn is actually " chittam " wood  so yep they are 2 diffrent spieces   brock

Offline BryanB

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 03:36:40 am »
If your buckthorn is the same as our Cascara, then it makes a wondeful bow.
Your description of the wood sounds exact.  It also has a very unique smell.
The bark is used as a laxative, so don't go eating any while you make your bow.  :D
Bryan