Author Topic: BBO Static Recurve  (Read 7414 times)

Offline wytetale

BBO Static Recurve
« on: November 25, 2008, 09:59:28 pm »
I wanted to make one for myself for hunting. Had my dad glue one up for me. It looked real good and tight. I started tillering it out, had it to 26" and the top limb seperated between the belly lam and the center lam right in the curve. What a let down, dont know what happened. It only split about 6" and didnt go to the tip. Didnt look to good it cracked the belly lam into the center. Put a couple of clamps on it to see if would go back together. It looked pretty good so we Loaded it up with some super glue gel and clamped it up. After it dried I told my dad to taper off the last 12" of the belly lam  and we will add some underlays to the top and bottom limb,This will really strengthen the top limb and also make it look really good. It couldnt of worked any better. Finished it up and have been hunting wiith it the last couple of weeks. The bow is 62 ntn 50# at 28" The riser and underlays are Pau Fero, and used some cow horn for the tip overlays.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 10:10:27 pm by wytetale »

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: BBO Static Recurve
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 10:16:23 pm »
Nice save. I like all the bows you've posted. Nice work.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline wytetale

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 10:27:41 pm »
Thanks Ryano, I have alot of Osage around here and am going to start cutting some and splitting it up so I can learn to make some selfbows. I can only hope that they will look like some of the creations that you make.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 10:35:04 pm »
 Very nice bow. Good color combo and nice tiller. Bet it's a sweet shooter. ;)

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 10:39:47 pm »
Great looking bow wytetale!  Congradulations on saving that bow.  Looks fast! :)
south central VA

Offline Ryano

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 10:47:44 pm »
Your welcome. I'm sure you won't have any trouble with your level of talent. Lots of osage you say?  >:D Where are you at exactly?  O:) LOL.... ;D

Offline wytetale

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 10:58:08 pm »
I live in Bureau Illinois, north central part of the state about 60 miles sw of chicage

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 11:03:45 pm »
Nice bow and great save. I'm with Ryan, I don't think you'll have any problem with selfbows.

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 11:04:54 pm »
Nice save on that one. I'm with the others - you won't have much trouble with selfbows.
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 12:01:37 am »
Nice bow.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 06:52:13 am »
Very nice and a even better save, good luck hunting :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Susquehannock

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 07:38:39 am »
Looks like a good shooter. In my limited experience, I find selfbows easier than laminate. Goodluck!

Jason

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 12:39:37 pm »
Sheesh - what craftsmanship! You're the R/D man for sure. We'll look at it early next week for Laminate Bow of the Month consideration.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Ryano

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 12:57:22 pm »
I don't really think laminated bows are any harder than selfbows or vise versa. There just different and what ever your more experienced with will probally seem easier. For me laminated bows are super easy to tiller but the ground work putting them together kinda sucks. Selfbows are a little harder to tiller for me because of their less than "perfect" shape or character that you usually start off with. Its really a horse a piece.

Offline wytetale

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 03:31:26 pm »
i agree with u ryano, the more u do something the easier it gets, it takes longer to get one cut out to glue up than it does to tiller it, thats the easy part., i think it would more of a challenge doing a sellfbow , what you start with isnt always what you planned on once you start taking wood off. were as a laminated bow you have all your pieces there and you know for sure what you have.