Author Topic: Recurve, setback, sinew. My first time with any.  (Read 679 times)

Offline MattTheClueless

Re: Recurve, setback, sinew. My first time with any.
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 07:07:24 pm »
Yup, I will save the sinew. Should I just soak it in water to release it from the glue?

It was a local hardwood called Leadwood. Combretum Imberbe. Extremely dense (considerably more than Ipe). It does seem like it has great potential though - since it was pulling 46# at 25". Effectively zero set, and 1 1/8" wide and 46" long before steaming the bends in.

Offline simk

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 09:19:39 pm »
Sincere condolences. Just soak it in water for a while - maybe takes several days to solve the glue...
46# at 25" and 46" long, stiff handle sure demands a lot from the wood. Can't be so bad - probably worth another try  :BB

Offline MattTheClueless

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 10:21:47 pm »
Thanks Simon,

As you say, I was asking an awful lot from the wood. The handle was stiff, and the recurves were too, so I had approximately 17" of working limb per limb. But then again, with an SG of 1.22 and a Janka Hardness of 15880N, I don't know if I'll be able to work a bigger piece without breaking both wrists!

You suggest I just soak it in plain water? Goodness me that's going to be a nightmare to then put all the sinew back in bundles  (A)

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 04:22:29 am »
Would it be possible to soak the sinew just enough it off as a single piece? Store it like that and then rehydrate it just enough to be flexible and glue it on the next bow?
Vancouver Island
If you don't have any questions you must not be paying attention.

Offline MattTheClueless

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 07:51:38 pm »
Besides where it obviously snapped, yes I think it should be. The sinew is in one single piece, just with a neat snap.

I think I'll do that.

By the way, I made myself a draw knife out of a cheap old backsaw blade yesterday. I'll post about it in Globalmark's topic in the How-To section.