Author Topic: Greetings from Alaska- back into bowbuilding  (Read 5401 times)

Offline Rick in AK

Greetings from Alaska- back into bowbuilding
« on: November 30, 2008, 10:32:23 pm »
Hi,

I have kinda re-energized my bowbuilding again and wanted to say hi.  I have lurked here off and on over the years and built a few bows along the way.  Just finished up with a hickory board bow last month and am working on another now.  With the new one I tried something new by building a caul and putting in some reflex with a heat gun.  Worked fairly decent. and want to cut down on the string follow a bit.    We will see how it turns out after the tillering process. 

So anyway, I live up in Alaska north of Anchorage so was also wondering if there were any other Alaskans on the site building bows.  Anyone else familiar with buillding bows out of birch?- our most common and only real hardwood around. 

later,

Rick

Offline ZanderPommo

Re: Greetings from Alaska- back into bowbuilding
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 10:56:11 pm »
you only have birch? no maple, i thought that was practically everywhere
nice to meet you by the way, the names Zander

Offline Rick in AK

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 11:52:59 pm »
Not any maple that I have seen or know about.  Perhaps down in southeast AK along the coast. 

Rick

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 12:00:40 am »
well, never used it myself but have seen bows successfully made with it

Zander

Far East Archer

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 03:38:56 am »
Nice to meet you.

Another builder lives in Alaska indeed.
I believe he also build a bow of birch, which he was having most success with kenai birch.
Also, his name on the forum was something similar to Ak bowman? I not sure...

a finnish native

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 04:37:40 am »
Hi and welcome! I myself live on the arctic circle in Finland, and I have also made bows from Birch. Here are a few main things I have figured out: Make the bow longish, about 66" should work fine. and the limbs should be flat and quite wide.

WindWalker

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 01:00:56 pm »
Mr. Rick in AK,
Will be building my first longbow this winter, if everything goes as planned.
We have -32 degrees below 0 (F) this morning.  Looks to be a fine day!
Best Wishes,
WindWalker
Sawmill Creek, Alaska

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 07:27:05 pm »
Hello brother, I am not from Ak .. live in Wyoming... was in Ak last summer and can't wait to go back... some great country... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 09:46:48 pm »
 Welcome, Fishoona on here is also from Alaska.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Rick in AK

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 01:11:24 am »
Hey guys,

thanks for the replies.  Good to see that there are a few others up here making shavings and driving their wife crazy with all of this bowmaking madness.    Did some tool sharpening today.  Scrapers and spokshave getting ready to start working the hickory board bow I got in the works. 

Windwalker-  Where abouts is sawmill creek?  Not familiar with it. 

take care,

Rick

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 05:11:05 pm »
Welcome, Rick. I'm not from Alaska but I've been there. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 01:00:31 pm »
I prowl around SE every year from Juneau to Yakutat. Fishing and helping my brother pack out his annual moose.
Except for birch, I've never seen anything that one could use for a self bow. A finnish native recommends birch and he is right...make it wide.
PS HomeDepot has good red oak for bows. Your local lumber yard might have Ipe and such for specialty woodwork.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Rick in AK

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 01:39:43 pm »
thanks guys,

I'll most likely wait till summer to cut a nice birch and get some real staves drying up.  Good points on the long and wide.  Looked again at the TBBs and they said almost the same thing.  Until then its the lumber yard for me.  I need to check out a specialty hardwood dealer in Anchorage and see what they have. 

Rick

moose palm

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 04:11:19 pm »
Hey Rick.

Its been a loong time since Ive been on the forum, too much work not enuff play. Its good to see a fellow Alaskan on here. I live on the Kenai, and my brother in law(AK Bowman) lives down here too. We have been playing arround with the birch for a while and have had mixed success. He made a cool bow from Kenai Birch that he left the bark on. It shoots good but took a bit of set, I think he posted it here someplace. Ive had the most luck with cutting birch up by Fairbanks or further north even. Seems like alot of the birch that grows on the peninsula twists as it grows. I think that it is because of the super dense spruce thickets and they have to fight for the sunlight, but a friend of mine thinks its because the area I get mine from the wind is always blowing off a glacier and forces the trees to twist. Like evryone has said wide flat limbs seem to be the trick, birch does make a good bow wood and heat treating the belly seems to help with belly compression problems too.
There is a guy I met on Paleo  Planet named Fiddler49 thats lives in Spenard I think. He is a good dude and uses birch as well. If your ever down on the Kenai look me up. Good luck.

Moose

CutNShoot

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 06:37:04 pm »
Yall have crab apple up there too! At least it grows on some of the islands. I thinks its better than birch.