Author Topic: mulberry recurve pics  (Read 16026 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

mulberry recurve pics
« on: December 15, 2008, 06:44:07 pm »
i started off with a mulberry stave that had some deflex and figured it was a good opportunity to make a wide sweeping recurve.  i steamed the tips and put them in my "big recurve" form.  they took very well.  tillering was pretty tough on this one, it just wanted to fight!  but i got it down to where i am happy. i think the tiller is a bit off but it shoots very well.  no stack at all and absolutely no handshock. it is probably the best recurve i have made to date with the exception of coming in a little under weight at about 45# @ 26 inches.  its 62 inches overall so i didnt want to pike it, so i tempered the belly which in turn gave it beautiful grain highlights.  so to match the grain i went for the "marbled" look with the grip. its deer skin that i dyed with homemade walnut stain.  it shoots really quick for being light and hit where you point it, i feel very confident that it would take a deer.  the tips are overlain with black walnut heartwood and the string is b-50 with bobcat hair silencers.  it is just whisper quiet and doesnt carry that normal recurve "sound".   i am proud of this one and hope you enjoy it.  thanks for looking- Ryan

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Re: mulberry recurve pics
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 06:44:51 pm »
last ones

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Ranger B

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 06:46:45 pm »
beautiful bow.  I have a mullberry stave and now you've got me wanting to work with it. 

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 07:00:40 pm »
WOW!  Nice Ryan.  Very Nice.
I like the way you set the tip overlay ( up high ) and extended the recurve.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 07:10:05 pm »
That really is an awesome bow. The tiller looks great and the unbraced profile is really gorgeous. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 07:16:08 pm »
very nice recurve
once again this is going to be a good month for BOM.
thiscould quit possibly be the winner(at least for me)
really like those curves.

question for ya though,they dont look like they are completely static,do they give some at draw?
and did ya want my address so ya know where to send it ;) ;D

peace,
                                                                                 tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 07:19:55 pm »
man, those recurves came out goregous! the bow's a beauty in itself, but the recurves draw me to make one- most of my attemps come out pretty bad... awesome- you use a heat gun? again, beautiful bow. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 07:21:45 pm »
Really really sweet looking bow!  Looks smooth and sleek.   
 Very nicely done!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 07:23:38 pm »
 That is one sweet looking bow,  Ryan. The tiller looks good to me and I'm  slobbering over those curves.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 07:26:04 pm »
Man, you got the recurve thing goin' on!!! Nice work, again. How many bows do you crank out a month? You're a machine, brother! Hey, I was thinkin'... I have a nice mulberry stave... if I send it to you, can you convert it into a nice recurve? Please. I said please.
I noticed your Nickelback t-shirt. A hard rockin' bunch of boys from Hannah, Alberta... just a few hours west of here. Do you know where the name "Nickleback" came from?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 07:30:31 pm by adb »

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 07:31:21 pm »
thanks a lot for the kind words fellas

adb- i usually make about one a month sometimes 2. i finished deer hunting early so i have had some extra evening time. i already started on another one too.

ballista- yeah give them a good try, i had to make a few before i learned to slow down and not be in a rush then they started to come out nice.  no heat gun. i just use steam.

sailordad- yeah i think they work a little bit, i am not real sure though, its kinda hard to tell.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 07:50:39 pm »
some how i miss the last part of your post adb

i am pretty hardcore into Nickelback, the old stuff is where my heart it, i dont care too much for their lasted 2 cd's   kinda became sellouts, but dont they all.  if memory serves me ( or unless it was just my logic talking) i believe Mike, the bassist worked at a coffee shop and the coffee was usually 2.95 or somethin like that and every time he gave change back he would say here is your nickel back, and then suggested it for a band name since it was stuck in his head.  but i may be wrong on that, dont even remember where i heard it. 

and the recurve would have much more meaning if you made it urself..lol
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 07:56:18 pm »
yup i know a dude that knows the band,and yes you are correct sir. i do believe it was a starbucks too.
my friend has also done the sound mix on a couple of cd's for some bands.
personally i like my rock with a little more metal than they have.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Badbill

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 07:57:54 pm »
Oh that tiller is so sweet! I just love the grain in that piece of wood too. Really nice work!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 08:15:12 pm »
Another beauty Ryan! Man you got it goin on :). Love that fd and all the other pics - great looking bow..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.