Author Topic: Cherry?  (Read 6400 times)

Offline Kegan

Cherry?
« on: December 26, 2008, 08:09:16 pm »
I've seen a couple really nice cherry bows here and there (like Tim Baker's and Orcbow's), but am still wary of it- so I never botherd cutting any. Today, however, we were getting firewood and cut a seven foot, straight, branchless section of cherry with very little sapwood on it. If I back it, would it be worth "stealing"? Could I manage to get a strong 75# longbow out of it?

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: Cherry?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 08:12:07 pm »
With a strong, lowish bend strength backing (such as rawhide), I think that it would be a good choice. Just make it wide enough for the draw weight.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

orcbow

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 08:50:12 am »
I have seen hundreds and hundreds of pieces of cherry over the last 10 years and I can tell you that this wood has a wide range of "flavors" or variations.  My belief is that if you find a piece that has extra density and exceptionally straight/non-wavy grain, it will help greatly. I'm not sure that 75 pounds can be reached, but I did make a 58# one, with only 1 1/2 inches of set. I would add that making the bow extra long may also help. Good luck. Cherry is such pretty wood.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 09:51:53 am »
Agree with orcbow 75# is asking to much of cherry.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 10:06:19 am »
          60 max .....is what I would shoot for on Cherry.....and thats with a nice Hickory ....or at least Rawhide Backing
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 10:31:17 am »
They cherry I have drying seems very light. The heartwood has turned a sorta peach color. I think this may be an exceptionally light piece of cherry though. Maybe if you toasted the heck outa the belly then  backed it.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 11:18:44 am »
I think there are so many other better woods to make a 75# bow. Don't get me wrong... cherry is good bow wood, and I've made several backed cherry bows, but not 75#. I think it's asking too much.

Badbill

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 11:42:35 am »
If you can't achieve the poundage you want with the Cherry wood, don't let it go, do something with it and trade it. On here I'm sure you could get another stave of some wood that will make the #75 mark. Good luck with it.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 07:40:00 pm »
Okay- I guess I'll save it, but not for one of my bows. I've heard good things of backed cherry bows- quick and light- and I think I'd bea able to make a good bow for someone else with it. Thanks for the input :).

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 11:19:25 pm »
Kegan, dont be a quitter ;D...We destroy bow building myths everyday here! (ofcourse I aint never built a cherry bow ;D) Give her a go....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 11:53:37 pm »
woa wait now,if he wants to quit on it and give it to someone else. well i think you should let him and if you dont know who to give it to well
i did just stickup for ya now.
kegan just kidding there,like koan said give it a try.dont ya want to be a myth buster?

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 09:44:45 am »
The problem with Cherry is that it has low elasticity and will fret at the drop of a dime.  I've made many longbows around 50# and you need to keep the belly flat.  Not a wood I would recommend for a heavy draw weight.  I even tried a sinew backing once to try and get a heavy draw weight and it still chrysaled
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 07:06:09 pm »
  What Marc said, except the only cherry I've tried is Black Cherry. The ones I've got to stay together were 1 3/4 to 2" wide at the fades and were under 40# backed with silk or rawhide.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 07:58:34 pm »
I think I'll save the stave and make a little beauty queen or two for someone. Use some of the gnarled hickory and elm I have for monster bows ;).

rosa

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 08:11:22 pm »
orcbow says:
I would add that making the bow extra long may also help. Good luck
kegan says:
get a strong 75# longbow out of it?

I thinking about a Holmegård, done the "wrong way" i.e. like the original. Me and my son cut a cherry in the garden today. What do you people think of that?