Author Topic: My latest hickory.  (Read 5396 times)

Offline Hickoryswitch

Re: My latest hickory.
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 09:22:45 pm »
Here is it after a little re-tillering. Got it bending a bit more mid limb and flipped the tips a little. Brought it back to weight which made me real happy. It still aint perfect but this is the shortest bow I've made. Also the first with narrowed tips.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 09:30:25 pm »
Dimension wise Upper limb is a hair over 1 1/2" wide until tips narrow' lower limb is a hair under 1 5/8" wide till tips narrow. It's awfully narrow for this shape and length but thats what the whole experiment was about. I kinda wanted to see how good hickory really was. So far still no set. Follows the string about 1/2" just unstrung and returns completely after about 15 mins. Still seems real fast but that might just be me hoping. Reflexed at handle then deflexs about 2 inches and tips are about 1/2" or so in front of handle.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline jwillis

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 10:57:12 pm »
That looks really nice. I'll bet it draws smooth late in the draw. Jim

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 06:58:17 am »
I see you went with a sort of a homegaard profile, in that case from where the limb narrows(at the wrap) on out
you want it stiff which it is, all the bend should be from the fades to the stiff section with the a fairly even bend so the stress
is spread out over the most wood as possible, looks like it could bend a little more into the fades but then again hickory is tough
stuff and if your happy with it thats what matters the most. Thanks for posting a front view picture would still like to see a unbraced side view picture though :)

Well done eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

DCM

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 10:56:16 am »
"So far still no set. Follows the string about 1/2" just unstrung and returns completely after about 15 mins. Still seems real fast but that might just be me hoping. Reflexed at handle then deflexs about 2 inches and tips are about 1/2" or so in front of handle."

If it is not much changed from it's profile before any tillering was started, you did a great job.  A shorter bow wants to work more toward the center, to preserve string angle.  1 1/2" of hickory is a butt load, for that lenght and draw weight.  I'd say it's a fine bow, and that some tweaking to remove mass where possible from the outer limbs will pay big dividends.  Also bear in mind hickory works beautifully at the low humidity levels we enjoy during winter.  Not so well when it's 90 degrees and 90% Rh this July.  I'd expect you could loose 4# or 5# of draw weight, and see another 1/2 of set in that environment, if what you currently have is inside of 35% Rh sustained.

Great job.  More pics.  Generally one wants to see a profile shot, showing the set, both before and after work.  Also a width profile shot so we can see where the limb tapers.  Also a braced shot and a full draw shot.  I usually like to see the outer limbs and string grooves, and handle wrap, arrow pass, fades as well just for cosmetics and somewhat to assess performance.

Thanks for posting your project.

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 05:47:45 pm »
I'll try to get some more pics this afternoon.
Wayne Silverthorn