Author Topic: My latest hickory.  (Read 5395 times)

Offline Hickoryswitch

My latest hickory.
« on: December 27, 2008, 03:14:13 pm »
Here is my hick bow I was askin Q's about. It's 62" ntn 50 lbs @26". She bends alot right outa the fades but it only has 14" of workin limb. Please give me your feed back guys. Be honest it makes me a better bow maker. Thanks everyone.

Wayne

[attachment deleted by admin]
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: My latest hickory.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 04:33:46 pm »
                             Dont know what happened....but half of the Pictures only D/Loaded halfway???
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 05:29:48 pm »
my internet is messing up I'll try again later. I was afraid that happened.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 07:24:16 pm »
full draw.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 07:31:39 pm »
Nice Wayne....but I would sure try to get the center third of them Limbs bending a bit.....could save this Bow from Imminent Destruction......JMO........not trying to be crude....just been my experience that if the Limbs do all of their Bending in the Fades.....they are destined to Self Destruct........... :-\
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Badbill

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 07:35:22 pm »
WOW! In that first pic. the camo. sure is good I can't see it at all. LOL. ;D

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 07:39:30 pm »
If I make it bend About another 5 inches up do you think that would help? Thats about all the limb I have left till I get to where it is narrowed. You know pictures really let you see how a bow is bending. Cause I didn't think it was quite that bad On the tree Especially that upper limb. Thanks.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 07:41:11 pm »
Yeah Badbill I can think my internet for that. It was givin me fits trying to post these pics.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 10:08:45 pm »
Can anyone give me an idea the signs this bow will give if it's gonna fail? So far it has about 150 shots through it and still shows no sign of set. Not doubting you destructo just wantin to know what kind of signs to look for.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 10:13:20 pm »
a loud cracking noise and pieces of wood flying every where
that would be a definate sign of it failing lol :o
sorry i just couldnt resist,i am feeling kinda like a smart a*& tonight

i have a boo/hick r/d that does most of the work out of the fade on the bottomg limb,like your bow does. after about 200-250 shots i could see chrysalling developing
the more i shoot it the worse it seems to be getting,so i havent even finished the bow.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 10:15:36 pm »
Ok i started retillering yesterday and worked on it a little more this morning. I think i have it close but I'll post another pic in the tomorrow to get yalls opinion. I also flipped the tips a little to get some weight back. I left my tillering tree and stick at work where I was makin another bow. So I've had to improvise and use a door knob as my tree. Works but you can't see the bow real well.
Wayne Silverthorn

DCM

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 04:34:45 pm »
I'm not sure one should arbitrarily a) regard a particular tiller (shape) as deficient based upon a photo or two b) act upon that observation.

If the bow ain't taking set, is shooting good with mild handshock and good cast, is fairly easy to find an arrow spine to fly well, then a lot of bend near the handle isn't necessarily a bad thing.  One simply needs to explore his objectives, alternatives and then come to a design decision, in as much as his stave will let him pursue it.  And where this is conflict, the stave always wins.  But in this case, I didn't read anything that said the first tiller was in any way flawed, other than the look of it.  Not saying that shape is necessarily optimum in most cases, rather that it's not necessarily flawed either.

John B.

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 05:08:32 pm »
I love that tiller, as long as the working sections of the limb are wide enough and your tips are light.  Can you give us dimensions and stats?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 06:56:51 pm »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As far as signs of impending doom, I wish there was a clear way to tell.  Set is a good indicator with most wood...if it's taking a lot of set then there is too much stress on the wood somewhere.

The best signs that bow that is about to break is when you get the desire to let someone else pull it back....or when you get really attached to the bow. ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 07:59:29 pm »
I will reserve judgement until I see a unbraced and front view profile picture, a full draw picture
is nice but its only half the story :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI