Author Topic: Abrasive Thicknesser-home made  (Read 10456 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Abrasive Thicknesser-home made
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:10:33 am »
Some of you have expressed interest in my home built abrasive thicknesser.   

I made this about 30 years ago, using just handy materials from Ace Hardware and a salvaged motor.  Nothing fancy, but it is a workhorse.  If anyone gets going on one of these I'll happily supply sizes and other info. 

Cheers, Piper

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Abrasive Thicknesser-home made
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 12:41:14 am »
Boy, I'd bet that baby will get your sinuses cranked! ;D 
   Simple but effective. Just the way I like it.    Thanks for sharing.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 12:44:45 am »
looks like a work horse.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 12:51:18 am »
Sweet! Thanx Piper...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 06:44:28 am »
Dats Yooper ingeninuity there eh ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 08:55:51 am »
Dana, that motor came off a blower that was changed out at the Salem Wisconsin WWTF!  Waste not, want not. 

piper

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 09:04:07 am »
Very cool! Now I gotta know what HP and rpm motor. ;D
laugh. its good for ya

Offline lowell

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 10:51:28 am »
I like it... what is the sand paper, looks like emery cloth?

How is it glued on?

Do you have to replace abrasive very often?

And will you come and help me add on to my shop?? LOL :D
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 11:01:03 am »
Very cool, I have been pricing a drum sander at $700.00 which I cannot afford. I was thinking of selling backing strips of hickory elm and maple and ash to pay for it. I really never liked selling anything. I just got a welder so now you have me thinking of just building my own, what is the speed of the sanding drum? Are you satisfied with the present speed? How do you control the feed? does it want to suck the material through or do you just take thin cuts? Steve

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 11:48:48 am »
Judging by the pulley size I bet she spins pretty fast but I don't see why you couldn't use different pulley
sizes to control the speed like on a drill press. From da WWTP eh hmm have a couple 40 hp motors laying around :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 09:09:09 pm »
Augie, I think this is a full 1 HP motor, been a long time since I looked at the plate.  It took some doing to find a motor this heavy that ran on single phase.  I remember i started out with a 1/3 HP and kept stalling it.  Speed unknown......nothing fancy. 

Lowell:  The abrasive is 80 grit, comes in a big roll, one inch wide and a mile long from HARBOR FREIGHT   http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2118   yes, it is cloth backed, but not emery.

The strip is not glued on, just tacked with plain olt carpet tacks at the ends.   After running for a bit, the strip stretches, and you need to pull the tack at one end and take up the slack, then put in a couple of tacks. 

If you take care, don't use it on gummy woods and don't scorch it, use a rubber belt eraser often.......well, you won't need to change abrasive often.  Part of ruining abrasive comes from heat.  Work easy, feed in different spots. 

Add on to your shop?   Hey, here's an idea.   Bring a big bucket of money and buy mine! 

Badger;   i can get the speed off the motor plate and give you the sheave sizes.....and diameter of the drum, and if you are a good engineer you can figure it out.   Will that be OK?   Surface speed of the drum is the key, regardless of the diameter.  Just that the larger diameter has more heat absorbing characteristics. 

I feed from the top side, i.e.. AGAINST the rotation of the drum, so it never pulls the work away from me.  I never take more than 1/32 or so ff at a pass, or less. 

If you  build one of these that will take up to 1 1/2 or so stock you will find a million uses for facing scrap, or thicknessing board bows, or making honey-do projects and school homework......and for WAY LESS than $700. 

I have a hood made from flashing tin to put over mine, with old bluejeans material hanging down, front and back, with a vacuum hook up, i just didn't photograph it.  Otherwise, you really want to take it outdoors as it makes BUSHELS of really fine dust. 

piper

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 08:19:34 pm »
great job, thanks for sharing. Have you tried using a tapered slat for backing your work? Just wondering if one could do so and make limb tapers?

thanks again.
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 09:49:40 pm »
majsnuff, so far i have not made any laminated bows with tapered slats.  I may get into it one day, but I'd like to TRY TO FIGURE OUT self bows first.   

Yes, with a factory tapered slat and some little squares of double stick tape a fellow could easily make pretty nice home-shop tapers.  the machine is never SCARY like a planer with nearly supersonic razor shrp blades.   You can set it to take off .003" or .015" or whatever, and with no power feed, you FEEL the stock into it.  Then, when you get nearly through, simply reach around and hold down the work onto the desk and begin lightly pulling it through. 

The only real excitement I've ever had was several times through the years when a belt has broken at the tacked ends.  Then, it wants to slap you silly till you hit the switch.   I located the switch so that I could hit it with my "stupid" hand real easily. 

As the stock is running in AGAINST  the rotation, it will never grab and pull it away from you.  Think of a table saw.  You never feed work from the back of the table, unless you are making a wood-shooting electric powered cannon!

If I was going to build a new one, it would have a formica desk surface and i'd make allowance to raise and lower one bearing block to allow fine adjustment for parallel between the desk and drum.   Right now, one bearing is adjusted with a couple of pennies to jack it up a mm or so. 

Let me know if you make one.   Piper

orcbow

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 06:04:50 pm »
Piper that machine looks like something right out of late 1970's Fine Woodworking magazine! I trust that it works very well though.... good idea, thanks for sharing it.

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 06:22:57 pm »
Looks like your pulleys are about the same size, top pulley looks a bit bigger, motor rpm's would work ok for me, I mainly want to sand down backing strips, like hickoy, maple , ash etc. Steve