Author Topic: shooting over a deer????  (Read 5382 times)

Offline lowell

shooting over a deer????
« on: December 30, 2008, 11:49:22 pm »
Seems if I don't kill the deer I shoot over his back.  Had one this morning at a good range and shot right over him. 

Other than practice more from a stand,  what should I do different.  I have read to aim low but when I practice I seem to hit where I'm looking.... but not when it's a real deer!!

Part of the trouble may be that I have not been practicing from a stand as the weather here has been so crappy.

I have more excuses but not enough time to tell them right now!! :D

BUT......any tips will be appreciated and tried!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: shooting over a deer????
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 11:54:20 pm »
 Pick you spot and Aim for it.....don't look at the whole Deer ....Just Your Spot..this helps me to not get Buck fever so Bad!!

Aim Small......Miss Small........It Works
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 12:03:08 am »
remember your follow thru,dont move your head or your bow hand till the arrow hits its mark.
i know this always plays havoc with my shots.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 12:14:53 am »
I practice from a stand and still  always miss high.  Of course, if I miss at all, even at targets, I miss high ???
  I can shoot great groups...about 4" high.
 I shoot split finger and anchor on my cheeck bone right under my eye, and unless I intensly focus, I'll shoot high.
  I could shoot 3 under and get it down, but I'd rather have teeth pulled than shoot that way.
 I've toyed with the idea of shooting extremely heavy arrows.

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 12:18:14 am »
heavy arrows= good penetration

heavy arrows=slow arrows

decisions decisions hmmmmmm :-\

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 01:13:30 am »
I don't care if a sloth could catch it, just as long as it's got enough punch when it gets there!
  Right now I'm shooting cedar and cane, but before next season I'll come up with a fix for this problem or I'll break out some of my bowfishing arrows and glue broadheads on them ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 06:44:19 am »
The two shots that I managed to get this year were out of a treestand.  Both over the back. >:(.   I agree with what El Destructo says.  Not picking a spot was my problem.  I practiced out of a stand that I have in my yard before and during season.  But being a newbee I guess I didn't focus as I do on a non living target.
Traverse City, MI

Offline boo

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 08:25:23 am »
ive struggled with this for years also. my shooting is fine on targets on the ground or in a tree. what i have figured out is when im in a hunting situation and im shooting at a live deer i dont shoot the same as a target. my draw is slower ( trying to stay undetected ) and im not concentrating on my spot because im trying to watch the deer for signs being detected. ive been caught drawing so many times is the reason for this bad habit. every time ive shot over the back of a deer and it doesnt spook out of there my second shot has always been rite on. i think the reason for this is because i think the gig is up and quit worrying about being seen. one thing ive been doing is to place my stand in better more concealed places and once ive committed to the shot i ignore all my thoughts and just pick a spot and follow through just like i do on a 3d target. im not sure if this is the same reason for most stick and string shooters missing but im i think its mine.
Boo

Offline lowell

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 09:36:39 am »
I agree that not picking a spot is my trouble.  That is going to be my first and main thought the next time I get an opportuninty.

Or wait for one that has a bullseye on his kill zone!! ;)

Thanks all
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 10:20:19 am »
If you don't pick a spot and concentrate on that one spot you will shoot over the back every time. I should know, I missed the first 9 I ever shot at and every one was over the back.
   About a month before the season starts I try to do everything I would do when shooting at a deer. ...from an elevated stand, pick a spot, slow purposeful draw, pick a spot, come to anchor, pick a spot, and a smooth release...and don't forget to pick a spot and KNOW your arrow will be there shortly!!!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 10:49:33 am »
I am no expert by any means, but would have to agree that picking a spot of aim is probably the solution to most of our shooting problems during the hunt... hope your next arrow flies true brother... happy hunting HAWK a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Gar

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 12:08:20 pm »
lowell

all the other suggestions sound like good ones,Ill add one more,try to bend at the waist when hunting from an elevated stand,tends to keep everything in line with the target.
 Hope this helps,
 Good luck.
 Gar.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 03:57:37 pm »
There was an article somewhere that says the human mind naturally (for the most part) guesses the dstance to be farther than closer. Makes sense since most of us miss high.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 06:58:22 pm »
thats why i use a rang finder and natural markers,takes the guess work out of it.
that way when i miss its all my bad shooting habits/technique ;D
and i have missed more than i have taken,just ask my wife and sons,they give me crap all
the time and how when i go bow hunting the woods is the safest place for any critter to be.  :-[

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 07:05:25 pm »
Man I feel for you ,if I pick a spot and shoot the deer drops down and it goes over its back. If I shoot low expecting the deer to drop down it just stands there and the arrow goes under. They just dont make thick enough deer around here anymore.  >----------)
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's