Author Topic: How much taper?  (Read 5224 times)

Offline Kegan

How much taper?
« on: January 01, 2009, 09:01:21 pm »
Well, my latest bundle of birch is leaving me in fits. The grain is fine for shooting the darn things, but gouge rediculously as soon as I take even a finely-set plane to taper the darn things!

Since I already sand the middle to get the spine I want, I could just sand the end into a slight taper- but not the full 1/16" taper I had before with the use of a plane.

Howard Hill said that the right amount of taper is 1/16", but he had 1/32" on his arrows, and even modern carbon arrows (Grizzly stiks?) are slightly tapred- and people seem to notice an inporved flight. But almsot all the modern tapred wooden arrows I see have at least 1/16" of taper.

How much is enough ????
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:57:59 am by Kegan »

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: How much taper?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 06:55:02 am »
If you were to buy a doz tapered wood shafts I believe they are tapered from 23/64 or 11/32 down to 5/16 at the nock end.  So I guess you could figure about 1/32 to 3/32 would be about right.  This is just a guess.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 10:27:31 am »
 Hill said 1/16 " because at that time he was shootin' arras he "spined " himself by shooting. There were NO spine testers yet. Later after they made the scene he changed ta 1/32 " when he spined arras, guess cause he got better flight. Remember Hill shot at longer distances in those days but in later life he shot much closer and didnt feel tapered arras were necessary. Imo they are just another unecessary frill in todays huntin' enviroment..............bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 10:39:36 am »
Never messed with tapered shafts except for cane and shoots and they are tapered quite a bit.
Personally I think its a waste of time to taper shafts but thats just my opinion ::)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 12:48:29 pm »
I have heard from 5/16" at the nock to 3/8" at the pile end. Some only taper the last 10" of the shaft. I guess this would have the same effect but would keep the weight up.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 06:43:51 pm »
Okay, so long as the center of the shaft isn't smaller than the nock, I'm okay then?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 07:10:31 pm »
 ;D Must be gettin "daft " er more than I already was ! ;D Barreled shafts are smaller on the nock and business end than in the middle. I fer one never saw the need fer barreled shafts, ifn ya barrel em then yer gonna lose weight !..............bob
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 07:26:55 pm by Coo-wah-chobee »

Offline jb.68

• Ancestral Archer
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 07:22:25 pm »
The grain is fine for shooting the darn things, but gouge rediculously as soon as I take even a finely-set plane to taper the darn things!

I found exactly the same problem mate. What I do (with a very sharp block plane, finely set) is plane the bits as far as I can that don't tear, but as soon as I feel it catch, I just drop onto a file and finish the length of the taper with that. I use 10 mm Birch, so I don't taper much more than about the last 12" to 8" depending on what they are for.  :)

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 07:25:16 pm »
The grain is fine for shooting the darn things, but gouge rediculously as soon as I take even a finely-set plane to taper the darn things!

I found exactly the same problem mate. What I do (with a very sharp block plane, finely set) is plane the bits as far as I can that don't tear, but as soon as I feel it catch, I just drop onto a file and finish the length of the taper with that. I use 10 mm Birch, so I don't taper much more than about the last 12" to 8" depending on what they are for.  :)

I tried that! The darn things left terrible "washboards" on it that I couldn't sand out.

I looked at them again- on many the grain swoops, running off in both directions >:(!

Offline jb.68

• Ancestral Archer
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 08:15:59 pm »
I tried that! The darn things left terrible "washboards" on it that I couldn't sand out.

I looked at them again- on many the grain swoops, running off in both directions >:(!

Was that with the grain or across?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 08:21:50 pm »
With.

Offline jb.68

• Ancestral Archer
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 08:27:02 pm »
I go across the grain with a medium file and then work down to a finer file. Then go onto a 120-140 sanding belt torn up. Then just go down through your usual fine finishing process.

It works for me, hopefully it'll work for you.  :)

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 08:35:15 pm »
I never would have thought of that! Thank you :)!!!