Author Topic: 1st rose shoot arrow  (Read 6742 times)

Offline brownhillboy

1st rose shoot arrow
« on: January 09, 2009, 10:33:56 pm »
Hey guys!  Well, like I said in another thread, I don't really know if this is a wild rose or multiflora shoot, but I havested it about 6 mo. ago.  It takes quite a while for these things to dry out.  I know it isn't totally primitive, but I do love fletching tape. ;D  I guess I'm taking baby steps toward more and more primitive methods.  I did split,grind, and chop the feathers from some turkey wings given to me by some of my friends this past spring.  I decided not to stain the shaft, and only coated it with tru-oil.  It surprised me that it was as heavy as it is-528gr. with a 100gr. point and 28.5" long including the point.  Well, what do you think?

[attachment deleted by admin]
south central VA

Offline TRACY

Re: 1st rose shoot arrow
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 10:45:05 pm »
Looks similar to some that I did last year. How does it shoot? I was pleased with the ones I did that were in the 520's and they shot great even with some slight imperfections.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 10:56:34 pm »
To tell you the truth, I only finished it a few minutes ago so I haven't been able to shoot it yet.  My 2 boys have 2 friends over spending the night tonight, and they're kinda blocking my shooting lane in the basement! :)
south central VA

Offline boo

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 11:22:42 pm »
excellent , looks good to me. you did a good job on those feathers. im going sunday to some power lines for some. ill let yall know how it went. boo
Boo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 01:55:52 am »
Don't worry about the baby steps. Get the shaft right first. All the rest is "glitter".  You did a good job on your rose shoot arrow. It really doesn't matter what kind of rose it was. What matters is that it makes good arrows.  ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 09:18:25 am »
Thanks guys! :)  I hope the rain will hold off long enough today for me to get home from work and try it out in the back yard this afternoon.  I've just started shooting my osage recurve that I've been working on for over 2 months!  Man, it is sweet so far!  Of course, when it's done, you'll see that too. 
south central VA

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 12:42:36 pm »
Way to go, those baby steps will soon get you there. I think we all took them. Congrats opn a good looking arrow.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 02:03:05 pm »
Thanks Kenneth, I appreciate it.  Tracy, I shot it yesterday and it shot great!  I don't have a spine tester yet, and just kinda figured it would be too weak for my 57# osage recurve, but it didn't seem to be.  I'll have to get to work on the rest of them now.
south central VA

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 02:36:43 pm »
Nice looking arrow :) Glad it shoots good.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 10:55:47 pm »
That is what matters most, if it shoots good. Good luck and have fun!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 11:21:12 pm »
real nice.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 12:03:15 am »
Thanks guys. :)
south central VA