Author Topic: goldenrod for arrows  (Read 6957 times)

Offline swiftjustus

goldenrod for arrows
« on: January 11, 2009, 04:02:14 pm »
i read someware that goldenrod made a prety good arrow, i was wondering if anybody had any experience with it?
thanks
  swift

Offline Kegan

Re: goldenrod for arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 04:44:29 pm »
Minuteman has, and he sent me some (worked well), but I personally prefer them for the hand drill myself :).

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 08:02:15 pm »
I've messed around with horseweed a little.  You could probably use the giant goldenrod as well.  It will probably spine pretty light.  The horseweed I tried came in at 35-the low 40's#.  Also pretty weak on impact.
Traverse City, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 09:46:03 pm »
  It was too light for me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 10:47:41 pm »
What Mullet said. I suppose you could add some weight if you really wanted to use them. A lot like blackberry shafts.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 09:01:53 am »
I've tried goldenrod and horseweed both for arrows, and I wasn't impressed. If you don't have anything else, they would work, but they're light, low spined, and not too strong. I had to add hardwood nocks and foreshafts to get them to hold together, too much work for the arrow you get from it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 01:44:35 pm »
All this talk about horseweed for arrows......I don't know how you guys do it.   ??? It doesn't work at all for me.  I can't get past the straightening phase without those suckers breaking or cracking.

If goldenrod is similar to horseweed, I don't think it's worth the trouble IMO.  For something really cheap and easy, if you have access to a table saw, just rip some spruce or fur lumber into arrow-size blanks and go to it. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 05:15:52 pm »
Goldenrod is a bit tougher than horseweed. However as I said, they make SUPERB hand drills for fire making ;D.

Minuteman

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 07:36:58 pm »
I shot a goldenrod shaft with a trade point on it through a whitetail doe at 22 yards four years ago. As far as the qualities of goldenrod vs horseweed , horseweed is very much over rated as an arrow shaft . Far too flimsy for anything but the lowest weight bows. The place where g-rod shines is with wide handle indian style bows. The wider handle calls for lighter spined arrow. The handle of the bow I shot the doe with was 1 1/4" wide. They are also naturally weight forward if you place the fatter end in the front. ( which is the right way  by the way)
 You do have to look at a buncha shafts to get a dozen that are heavily spined enough for a hunting weight bow. I've found them in an old farms leaking septic field as big as my thumb! Well fertilized to say the least. ;D
 I plan to make a few more goldenrod shafts before I croak and will do my best to kill more deer with 'em.
 They do make good bow/ hand drill spindles for firemaking too.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 08:53:47 pm »
Jackcrafty- Not that I liked the horseweed for the arrows, but I love it for the hand drill.  I like to straighten the spindles out just like I would for an arra.  Use some low heat and you can get them nice and straight. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 09:31:24 pm »
Chris, the wide handle thought makes sense. Also, there's so many different species of goldenrod (39 or so different species just in NC)that there's probably a lot of variation in quality for shafts between them. The kind I tried sucked, I'll have to keep an eye out for some other types to try. Rick, horseweed is my favorite hand-drill spindle material, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Minuteman

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 07:43:35 am »
Had no idea there were so many kinds.  ???
 It does work. I guess you just have to have the right kind.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 11:24:59 am »
Chris, Let me know when you're gonna work some more g-rod. Maybe a Heartland Jamboree demo?

Thanks Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Minuteman

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 09:38:56 am »
This year's plants won't be ready by then, Tracy. But I got a hand full of last years batch left. I'll see if I can remember to bring some along.