Author Topic: Three hacksaw blades  (Read 11082 times)

Offline Kegan

Three hacksaw blades
« on: January 13, 2009, 08:24:10 pm »
I can't get it to work. The small tangs aren't long enough to hold all three blades. Can someone who uses this show me some pictures of what they use? I've been trying this for about three years, and have never been able to get the darn thing to work :P. I feel I'm missing something very simple, and am gonna kick myself once I realize what it is :).

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Three hacksaw blades
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 08:35:22 pm »
 Kegan, Kegan, Kegan..............Tape the 3 blades together with electrical tape. Hold on either end then saw away. Ya know saw, saw, saw !  ;D Wow hey this workee good ! :o..........bob

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 08:50:45 pm »
Kegan-
This is how I did mine.  I taped them offset so that one end is one blade. The center is three blades and the other end is two blades.  Here are some pics.  Hope this helps.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Traverse City, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 09:33:19 pm »
Kegan, I could never get the hacksaw blades working to suit me, either. I use a little round rasp that I picked up at a hobby shop somewhere, works great.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 09:42:38 pm »
  I use my band saw or scroll saw. I couldn't get the hack saw blades to stay centered. I then clean them up with a chain saw file.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Shooter_G22

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 11:50:20 pm »
what are we talking about here???   are we talking about making self nocks???   if so i use a hacksaw and make slit thin slit in the shaft and then very carfully with my 1" X 30"  vertical belt sander ( a harbor frieght speacil )  i come in from the side with the 1" belt and just widing teh slit by sanding and then i take it out and flip to get the other side... if i remember when the boys come over for the weekend i will take a picture of how it works...   after i get the slit wide enough i then take a drill bit the same thinkness of a bow string and slowly drill the inside end of the nock to make a snap on type nock... shoot a little laquer on the inside of the knock or a drop of super glue sofly brushed to harden the inside of the self knock and your good!!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 01:23:39 am »
I start with a single band saw cut and work it out with a thin bladed knife and sand paper folded over and over to open the throat of the nock. Then I use a small rat tail to round the bottom and relieve the edges for the string.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 02:29:47 am »
Tile blade....aka, grit coated blade (for your hacksaw).  Works good.... ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 06:23:45 am »
Use a bandsaw or try drilling a 1/8" hole and use a razor knife to cut down to the hole on either side
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 07:35:16 am »
I have used three hacksaw blades and the tile saw and they bith worked great.  It does help me some with the blades to turn the middle blade the opposite way of the outside two.

Minuteman

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 07:40:47 am »
I'm with Jack crafty on this one. Tile cutting blade works great and they are cheap too.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 10:06:36 am »
I had the same problem as Eddie-couldn't keep the cut straight. I usually make an initial cut with the bandsaw or a hacksaw, then follow the cut with the round rasp. I've used those tile blades too, and they work good.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 10:29:48 am »
I like the options with your setup rick. I just use a small flat file and then a small round file with sandpaper for the finishing touches. I do more damage with the hack blades and no good at all with any power tools ;D

tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Scowler

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 11:26:49 am »
I use a Dremel with a cutting wheel for cutting the nock.  I then use two small files (flat and round) to widen the nock, and three levels of sandpaper (60 grit, 150 grit, and 220 grit) to shape and finish them.  Using hacksaw blades takes too long for me.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 12:13:06 pm »
I agree with Jackcrafty and minuteman.The tile saw is the best tool for self-nocks I've ever used.(And I've tried em all).If you use cane for arrows,and like your nock to end up in a node,you can use the little groove under the node as a guide,and cut a straight nock.Then ,use the saw to enlarge the bottom,to near string diameter, to make perfect snap nocks. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas