Author Topic: what wood should i use  (Read 3665 times)

sourdough

what wood should i use
« on: January 15, 2009, 10:02:17 pm »
hi i'm new to this sight and live in a suburb of anchorage in alaska and am wondering what wood is good for bows.we have black spruce, white spruce, birch, douglas maple, aspen, black cottonwood, tamarack larch, red cedar, western hemloch, mountain hemlock, and willow. i know, alot of different trees around here. anyway, which is the best and how long should i season it?whats the best for arrows?well thanks you guys if i sucseed i'll post pics.

sourdough  ;D

Offline Gordon

Re: what wood should i use
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 10:22:23 pm »
Out of all of those I'd say the maple is probably your best bet.
Gordon

sourdough

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 02:03:08 am »
thanks and im in luck :o.there is lots of maple in my area.

sourdough

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 02:19:15 am »
None of those are trees I have access to, but I remember seeing a recent thread on using Douglas maple.  You should check that out.   I believe larch has been used successfully as have birch and aspen, though the latter two are pretty low weight woods.  A warning, the red cedar you have is not the same as eastern red cedar.   Western red cedar can make very nice arrows, but bows are not easy to make from western red cedar.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

sourdough

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 02:24:52 pm »
thank you very much that was the reply i was looking for.  it answerd my 2 most important questions! ;D

sourdough 

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 07:32:23 pm »
I would try the birch and maple for bows, the spruce and cedar for arrows. Sitka spruce makes some killer arrows, so other varieties would probably work well.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 09:15:57 pm »
Yup the birch and maple, but if I can ever come across a nice piece of tamarack I think it will work :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline shamus

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 03:36:09 pm »
there is a very extensive list of bow woods in the Traditional Bowyer's Bible Vol. 4, but here are Tim Baker's thoughts on it:

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/6213