Author Topic: bow tip carvings  (Read 3052 times)

Offline rudderbows

• Rudderbows Archery
bow tip carvings
« on: January 18, 2009, 08:18:29 am »
Check out these tips one of our customers carved on his bow. He carved them on the tips of a hickory backed hickory Holmgaard style bow. Just in case you are wondering why hickory backed hickory, he used the backing to glue in some reflex.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DirtyDan

Re: bow tip carvings
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 08:52:49 am »
Very elegant.  What an artist!

Dan

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 10:13:30 am »
                                                                           Nice OverlaidTips!!

I bought a Floor Tillered Holmegaard Board Stave off of a certain Website a couple years ago...and never did anything with it though.... there was no thickness to the Holmegaard Tips...same demensions as the rest of the Floor Tillered Limb...I didnt see any way to get it to work like a Holmegaard with 1/2" thick tips
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 01:50:59 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 10:30:17 am »
Cool carving.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 10:51:21 am »
Nice overlays.

Mike, sounds like a bow to invite some kid over to finish. Make him a good 20# bow.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 11:49:29 am »
Thats a good thought Justin....just cut them useless narrowed Tips off...and make a 56 inch Kids Bow from it...that way the money spent on the Website Stave wont be a total waste....and I may hook a neighborhood Kid in the Process!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline rudderbows

• Rudderbows Archery
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 01:24:30 pm »
This particular customer left tips unbending and reflexed the limbs so he was able to get a 53 pound bow from this.  On holmgaard bows its easy to get high draw weights simply by leaving the outer limbs stiffer. This guy also glued a backing onto the bow which gave him more thickness to deal with.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 02:12:23 pm »
I really like the carvings, looks like a traditional viking design I've seen before in Norway, he's done a neat job!!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......