Author Topic: Shooting Confusion.  (Read 8017 times)

Offline JBL

Shooting Confusion.
« on: January 25, 2009, 12:13:13 pm »
I have been shooting a 56" osage/sinew backed bow for about 6mos now and was getting pretty accurate 4-6" groups at 20 paces consitently.  The other day i went to the range and still being a new guy; got alot of advice and now I can't hit the barn let alone the broadside of it.  My question is this-what I was doing is as I bring the bow up I was "aiming" and when I got to my anchor (middle finger to corner of mouth) I would shoot.  I "think" I had a consitent anchor and I was getting decent results but I was told I needed to hold at anchor-this has thrown my timing way off and has added another thing for me to think about.  I also thought that with a self or primitive bow it was best to shoot as I was in one fluid motion.  I know there are different styles of shooting and I need to use what is best for me the question is how many hold and how many shoot in one fluid motion?  There are plenty of books on "traditional" archery shooting but is there one that focuses more on the so called primitive aspect?  I know in TBB2 Asbell wrote a chapter but that was more about arrow spine/selection I did find it very informative.  I have also read "Bent Stick" by Comstock.  Howard Hill's "Hunting the Hard Way" also has a chapter but it does not go into to much depth about anchoring and holding. I was wondering if Horace Ford's book would help.  Thank you in advance.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: Shooting Confusion.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 12:31:42 pm »
I am no expert brother, but i believe we as archers should shoot the way that is comfortable to us as individuals.. advise is good concerning proper form and basic technique.. but if your personal accuracy and therefore confidence, declines go back to what you were doing.. instinctive shooting is just that... instinctive...no aiming or real technique required.. just shoot the bow , have fun  and instinct will take over... Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 01:35:15 pm »
I agree with Hawk. If you were shooting well then continue shooting the way you are most comfortable. Anyone that says you have to do it this way or that way is wrong IMO. When I shoot, I do as you. I draw to the corner of my mouth and as soon as I touch the arrow is gone. If I find myself short drawing then I will purposefully hold at full draw for a second or so but it is a training method and not the way I shoot.
   The secret to instinctive shooting,IMO, is to get the mechanics of your style of shooting(whatever it is)down so when the time comes to put that arrow through your quarry all you have to do is concentrate on where the arrow WILL go. Everything else should happen without conscience thought...instinctive!   
   I have a friend that draws to his chest and shoots very well. Is he shooting with the wrong style. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of the shot! :o       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JBL

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 02:16:44 pm »
Thanks for the input.  I had my daughter video tape my shooting and I have been hitting the anchor and like I said I thought 4-6" groups at 20yds was getting pretty good. I have a friend who shoots with a thumb ring and there is no break from the time he draws until the time the arrow is loose off his bow, and as you say I would not want to be on the receiving end.  In my profession we have an old saying "different ships different long splices", and I just wasn't sure if that was the case here or if I was missing something.  Thanks again.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 02:53:30 pm »
4" to 6" groups at 20 paces is good. If you are consistent with that then you have nothing to worry about.   I don't like shooting groups. Even at a target butt I don't shoot for the same spot with each arrow. Just before hunting season I shoot only one shot at a time, at a target and see if I can put it where it should be. That one shot is usually all you will get so it is the most important. When shooting groups your first arrow is intended for a particular spot. Any shots after that can be effected by the existence of the other arrows in the target. My opinion.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JBL

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 03:03:31 pm »
Thanks Pat that was another question I had about "groups" but it seems that people are always wondering about how far are your groups.  I remember reading that Fred Bear was only concerned about that first arrow as most animals don't let you shoot a group into them.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 09:02:05 pm »
I usually don't shoot groups either.  I also don't shoot quantity shots, I go for the quality.  Some people will go out and shoot several hundred shots, especially before season starts and that evidently works for them.  I do shoot everyday, but lots of times it is only one shot.  Rain, sleet or snow, I take the shot and go on.  I also shoot with no hold time on the draw.  I raise and draw the bow at the same time, and when I hit my anchor point, the arrow flys.  My brother will hold his, sometimes for minutes at a time, till both hands are shaking so bad he looks like he needs a pill or something.  The longer he holds, the worse the shot is.  Stick to the style you are comfortable with because if you start changing styles, basically you are learning to shoot all over again.

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 02:08:51 am »
JBL,

I was having accuracy problems until I started doing what you do.  I hold my bow up and aim down the arrow before I even draw.  Then I slowly draw the arrow back while still concentrating on the spot I Want to hit. The moment I hit full draw the arrow is gone.   The first time I did that my accuracy suddenly improved, and it was CONSISTENT!  No other shooting technique works as well for me as that.  I have a friend who is a hell of a shot with a longbow, and he shoots exactly the same way I just described.  I find that trying to aim when you're at full draw just doesn't work well because you are trying to do too much (hold at full draw, aim, and make adjustments for range).  If your shooting technique works for you then don't let some other yo-yo try to tell you you're wrong. I HATE it when people who don't know what the hell they're talking about start piping in with their idiotic comments and criticisms.  That dude wouldn't be saying much of anything with an arrow stuck thru his chest....
Marietta, Georgia

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 08:46:23 am »
I shoot about the same style as Billy just mentioned, other then I hesitate just a split second before releasing usually. The main problem I've had is follow through. I try and hold the bow as if still at full draw until the arrow hits. If I drop my arm to quick it effects my shot. :) I've also in the past had a problem with target panic but I'm getting over it finally...knock on wood! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 10:02:21 am »
Some excellent advice!  Have always said there are only two things imporant when hunting with a bow:  have your equipment in good shape with sharp arrowheads and get really close.  Now that I am much older, I have found that trying to follow the advice given above and hunting with the Hustons, all I have to do is find my arrows and watch the show!  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 01:12:42 pm »
Don't fix what ain't broke.Life is short. I reckon that if I were critiqued on my shooting form,I would be rated a mess,but somehow,I manage and have a load of enjoyment out of it as well.Whenever I start shooting(There are usually big gaps between) I start shooting short and just gradually step back,I don't shoot tired either.Pretty soon I am shooting good at distance again and I'm good to go. I will tell you one thing,can't hit anything when I don't pick a spot.   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 02:11:59 pm »
Frank, I'm pretty sure I was guilty of not picking a spot on a small buck late in the season. It was a steep angle shot with the deer no more then 10 yards out. Missed him completely! Worked out good though, because he ran by Pappy and he doubled lunged him with a cane arrow and glass point that SawFiler had made and given Pappy. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 12:47:52 pm »
 I'm pretty sure that Our Father in Heaven loves Pappy the most. Sorry !   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline JBL

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 05:25:54 pm »
Thanks for all the advice.  I went back to shooting "my" way, and everything seems to be back on track.  I know my form isn't the best but I am hitting what I look at (for the most part) and more importantly having fun.  Our lives are stressfull enough without worrying about holding at full draw etc.. etc.. Thanks again.

Offline John K

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 05:59:24 pm »
Yep, Do what works best for you and forget what everyone else say !
I shoot the same as most folks have posted, when i hit my anchor the arrow is on it's way !

JohnK
The only way to fail is to never start !