Author Topic: twist in limb  (Read 2166 times)

Offline joesharp79

twist in limb
« on: January 28, 2009, 08:20:22 pm »
new guy here lol building my first bow im tillering it and 1 limb wants to twist a little just a little past 1/2 way but it it not twisted when there is no pressure on it i was woundering if maybe if 1 side of the limb is thicker than the other if that could cause it or   if u have any sugestions on what might be causing it and what i could do to fix the problem

thank you very much     JOE

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: twist in limb
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 08:25:19 pm »
I would check for even limb thickness.  Removing wood on the thicker side which would probably reduce the twist.  Also check that the depth of the string nocks are even.  Is there any propeller twist in the limb?
Traverse City, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 09:40:54 pm »
  If it wasn't twisted to start with, and started to twist when you went to wittlin' on it, you probally took too much off one side. Only you know, we can't see a picture. The advice Rick gave you should be checked for sure. If it is a Flat bow it might be the wood, no big deal, yet, or maybe? If it is a "D" belly Longbow it is probally too much wood off one side. Which might be corrected, partially with Tillering and maybe off-setting the knock grooves.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline joesharp79

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 10:18:08 pm »
thanks for the info ill check my string nock depth and the thickness 

more info on the bow

its a red oak board bow and i backed it with 2 layers of fiberglass cloth and tbII  with it being what it is if theres a little twist in it that i cant get out is it something that i need to worry about or u think it will be ok ill try to get some picks here in a few

also one more ?  is there anything that i can do to keep the limbs from seating in they seem to want to stay bent a little after unstring it

THANK YOU JOE
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 10:23:38 pm by joesharp79 »

Offline joesharp79

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 10:56:28 pm »
OK got some picks the first 1 i have drawn a line were the twist starts at dint know how well u can see it i can but i know were its at if u can see it  do u think its any thing to worry about or not     

OK i have also included a pick of it at the tillering stage and 1 after i take the tension off c how it doesn't come all the way back str8 i circled it there i was also wondering if there was anything i could do about that

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH FOR ALL UR HELP JOE

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 11:12:55 pm »
 Where you have it circled is a good start. You need to shorten your string to get accurate with your tiller now. Don't get hung up on the twist. And you should check out George Tsoukalas sight, (Jawge) he has excellent information there on board bows and is far more knowledgeble then me on this subject.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:18:59 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?