Author Topic: Yumi bow, Yonsun-nobi  (Read 32566 times)

Offline YewArcher

Yumi bow, Yonsun-nobi
« on: January 31, 2009, 12:55:12 am »
Here is a bow style that I have been itching to make for years. I finnaly got around to it.

This is a Yumi (Japenese bow). This particular style is a Yonsun-nobi being 75" long. It is intende for a 32" draw wich is rather short for me. My ideald raw with a Yumi is more like 42". This was a good starting point though. The next bow I make will be a Hassun-Nobi 90" long.

This bow is build in the Gohonhigo style, meaing: 5 tempered bamboo slats with a side hard wood piece with a back and belly of bamboo. This style came to be after 17th century and is the preferd method of building.

Here is a picture of the core glued up, syas, flattened bamboo:

Here are some pictures of me building the bow with the rope and wedge method. Jaaps video "all tied up in bowmaking" is just great. It teaches how to do the rope and wedges.

Here is the bow un-braced:

Here is the bow braced with some Ya (bamboo arrows).

Some details of the bow:

Here is the full draw for this bow....again....rather short fr my long arms. This is 32"

All in all a very sucsessfull first atempt at this style of bow. I learned a ton and am now looking forward to building the corect size bow for my size. It wa sgood to start on a shorter version. As you can ee its not quite as radical as the longer version. This bows core and back are glued with hide glue (knox). The belly I did with TB2 so that i could remove it with heat if nessecary.....lol.....it was nessecary many-amany-a-times  :o.

Thanks for looking.

Steve

Offline benjamin

Re: Yumi bow, Yonsun-nobi
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 01:19:46 am »
Awesome bow! I'm very curious to know how you tillered it. Great job.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 02:51:19 am »
Great looking bow!  Why tite bond?  I thought luthiers used hide glue because it was easy to take things apart later.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Rich Saffold

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 03:01:02 am »
Steve, You did quite well for the first one, watching you draw 42" on the second one will be very cool as well. great pics, they teach a lot as well.

Rich

AKAPK

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 04:18:00 am »
Like it :)

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 06:21:24 am »
awesome!  you just read Zen In The Art of Archery  didn't you?  lol. very cool!
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 06:42:38 am »
Sweet bow Steve :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 06:57:43 am »
Very NICE.  Looks like that was quite a difficult project. It seems like it would take a totally different mindset when it comes to tillering a design like that.  Really nice job you should be proud of your work.
Traverse City, MI

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 07:53:29 am »
Thanks fellas. Yes, a totally differnt mind set is an understaement.

Ben, The bows are really not tillered as much as you teach them to bend. You have to taper your cores corectly prior to doing the glue up. After that you can taper the with some to adjust the tiller a bit.

M-P, TB2 release when heated to (???? degree) Its easy to delaminate a belly or backing strip with a heat gun. I am not sure how to release hide glue short of water.....maybe heat but I am not sure?

Rich, lol.....yes.....42" will be rally really cool! Betha is will really zing an arrow! I should have pursued professional boxing my arms are so darn long.

Armymedic, No I hav eyet to read that book. I will eventually get it by my intersts are not really in the Zen aspect. Kyudo seems really intersting but I think I am more interestd in Kyujutu ich is the Martial Art of the Japanese bow as opposed to Kyudo wich is the zen aspect.

Rick, Yes, it was dificult but was very enjoyable to build.

As an aside, This bow has many things that I did not get right. Its a long way for a real good yumi bow. It shoots great and is qucik and quiet but not as authentic in shape and detail as it should be. The next one will be closer, then the next one closer still!

The exact details i am speaking of are: the tips should have more static recurve and the grip area should ben a bit less.Other then the the lower limb looks good as the the upper. Its the in-be-twixt and the tips that are not right.
Steve
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 08:00:29 am by YewArcher »

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 11:11:09 am »
Holy Cow!  >:D What's can I say? Quite the contender for Feb Laminate Bows of the Month not to mention 2009 Bow of the Year
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Barrage

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 11:19:20 am »
Nice bow.  Must have been interesting making it with the rope and wedges.
Travis

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 11:25:55 am »
       very,very cool.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline dantolin

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 01:34:53 pm »
Cool!
you've done a very good work with this bow.
What wood are you using for the core with the bamboo?
I'd like to try the same technique with shorter bows, not yumi (64" or 67" typicall simple bows, recurved, of corse) and I'm thinking to make the core with mulberry and boo. What do you think? what other woods could work fine for target weight bows? (45-50 pounds)
Thanks
David

Offline Jesse

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 03:27:26 pm »
I dont know anything about this type of bow but it sure looks like the yumis Ive seen. I would love to shoot one some day.  Cant imagine you drawing another 10" wow I gotta see that. Great work  :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 03:36:14 pm »
Very cool looking bow!  That rope and wedge deal is very interesting too.  Great job!
south central VA