Author Topic: tillering opinions - FAILURE!!!!  (Read 8327 times)

Offline n2everythg

tillering opinions - FAILURE!!!!
« on: February 03, 2009, 03:59:42 pm »
I always end up second guessing my self while tillering.

so minds well through this out there and see what Y'all think.

got the bow out to 52# at 27". Need to get to 30. I think I'm fixing to make perfect target weight if I dont mess it up between now and then. was shooting for 55# at 29 after finish and shoot in.

worried that my mid to outer limbs are too stiff though. and there is too much work being done in the lower limb closer to the fades.

one limb has a big knot mid limb but the crazy thing is that that limb has been the easiest to tiller. the straight one has given me fits all through the process. the straight one does reflex a bit more about 2/3rd out towards the tip and I think it is causing me to see too much stiffness in the outer 2/3rds of that limb.

Bow is still holding about 2" of set back. no set that I can tell.
Well give me your thoughts if you would.
thanks much.
wade

Unstrung

at 27"
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 06:42:19 pm by n2everythg »
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline bigcountry

Re: tillering opinions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 04:05:54 pm »
To the untrained eye like myself, it seems the left limb is tad stiff from mid to outer.   Other than that, looks good. 
Westminster, MD

gutpile

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 04:10:12 pm »
Dude that looks spot on for me..I like to leave the last 6 inches stiff on my tips..the only thing I do see is possibly need to remove some from the right limb 7 inches in from tip to 10 inches from fade...not much just a tad..otherwise nice...like the unstrung profile too...sweet...gut

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 04:14:38 pm »
gut - thanks. yea I see it there too on the left. Just a tad stiff on the right mid limb out from the knot a bit. not much but maybe a scrape or 2. thanks for your opinion.

big country - ya that left limb is the one that has been giving me fits. that is what I was thinking too. Looks stiff. but I think it may be due to the unstrung profile. it reflexes just a bit more mid limb out and swings up.

start staring at it so long and begin to second guess.......

N2
East Coast of Nowhere

gutpile

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 04:25:47 pm »
Looked at it again and the left looks ok to me..still just a scrape or 2 on the spot on the right..you can take a straight edge about 4 inches long and move it down the limb on the belly side and look at the differences in the space above the straight line..helps see what you get blinded by..LOL...I also like to look at the belly side of the bend..not the back side...when looking at the back side you see all the undulations, humps ,knots ,etc...but from the belly side you won't pick that up as much....just a thought...gut

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 05:00:43 pm »
Have you braced it yet? if its 52#@27" on the long string its past time to brace it up.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 05:26:23 pm »
dana.
yea it has been braced. this is not a long string. just didnt post a braced shot.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 05:46:09 pm »
Looks great, I like a bit more bend mid limb and a tad less on the inner limb but it still looks great, this bow will have an incredibly smooth draw the way she is tillered. Steve

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 07:01:40 pm »
Looks pretty darn good to me also. Maybe a little of what bigcountry said since you still have a ways to go but for me it's
done. :) Nice job.
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PeteC

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 08:57:46 pm »
It looks pretty good,but I would'nt take off any more at the fades.Have you thought about flippin' the tips a little? That would give you opportunity to hit your target weight. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 06:40:37 pm »
well she didnt survive.

I did limber up those outer limbs some and get them bending a little more. pulled it to 29 and was just doing some final finish tillering and some exercise of the bow.

I had it at 54# at 29" and thought I was good to go. took a couple more scrapes off it and was excercising it when I heard a few little ticking noises.... uh oh....whassss that?

then lifted a splinter... errrrrr. was really hoping I had a shooter. Think I could glue it down and back it?

by the way it cracked on the right limb. splintered in close to the fade Guess there was too much stress there after all. Think I will get get the outer limbs bending more on my next bow. darn it.

was my tiller really that bad? or maybe it was just a fluke or thin section in the ring?

here is what my tiller looked like:

and here is the splinter...
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline sailordad

Re: tillering opinions - FAILURE!!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 06:47:56 pm »
well atleast it aint as bad as Dana's splinter lol

i would wrap it with sinew and back it and shoot the ever loving heck out of it.
you could wrap the other limb in the same area for asthetic reasons
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 07:02:42 pm »
Man, stories like this scares the life out of me.  What I am sure bothers you the most is you were so close.  I would have definatly never figured this bow would have broke.  What were dimensions?  How wide at the fades? and Was it pyamid or what design?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 07:06:43 pm by bigcountry »
Westminster, MD

Offline Gordon

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 07:12:43 pm »
Sometimes a bow will fail no matter how carefully you tillered it. I try not to get too attached to a piece of wood until I've pulled it to full draw about 1000 times.
Gordon

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 09:11:25 pm »
n2, that's too bad. 29" is a pretty hefty draw but doable provided the design is right for the wood and draw length. The tiller looked pretty good but the fades are bending. Not an easy design to pull off.  How long and wide is the stave? Is this a board or a log? What wood is it?  I'm curious as to why you are shooting for a 30 inch draw when you draw 29"? I'm not in the over draw camp. LOL. Breaks are a part of bowyering. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!