Author Topic: Reflex/deflex opinions?  (Read 5754 times)

Offline Kegan

Reflex/deflex opinions?
« on: February 03, 2009, 06:09:39 pm »
I'm working on a new hickory R/D. Though it's going well, it's not finished and shooting (having overlay troubles). I've read that R/D store the most energy, but what about actual shooting? What does everyone think of them? Seems that every FG longbow out there, even the lower end ones, seem to use a little R/D. Are they really better shooters?

Offline Jesse

Re: Reflex/deflex opinions?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 06:53:09 pm »
Im not sure about speed if they are faster or not. They seem to be.  I have noticed they are sweet to shoot. The end of the draw does not build weight as fast and the handshock is minimal if at all.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 07:34:49 pm »
All else being equal, any limb which is reflexed will store more energy. R/D bows are very smooth to shoot, with 0 handshock. That being said, cast should be better with a R/D profile. I build them and use them, and very much enjoy their benefits, especially in shorter length hunting bows.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 09:06:43 pm »
I like them too.The shape provides lower string angle,which cuts stack,so they are smooth and fast,and therefore,accurate.I used to build a lot of them,(although I do have one about finished right now),but have drifted more toward straight,or slightly flipped tip bows lately.It's just a phase,I like all designs. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Traxx

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:28:17 pm »
Hate to sound like a know it all,but i hear this term used all the time, for the Popular FG bows that you mention.Actually they are Deflex/Reflex Bows.Reflex/Deflex bows,would be the typical plains style bow.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 10:41:19 pm »
I have been thinking on this topic a little lately.  A R/D bow is actually a little whip tillered.  Whip tiller can make a bow faster but can cause a problem with longevity.  The deflex is there to remove some stress to help with the excess stress and make it more durable.  I need to build a few more R/D bows to play with before I make up my mind on performance and reasons for it. 

Hate to sound like a know it all,but i hear this term used all the time, for the Popular FG bows that you mention.Actually they are Deflex/Reflex Bows.Reflex/Deflex bows,would be the typical plains style bow.

I guess it depends on which part of the limb you reference first.  It is a Reflex Deflex starting at the tips and moving in.  I never saw anyone start in the middle of a race so why do I have to start in the middle of the bow? ???
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Postman

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 10:41:17 am »
Am finishing up my first - started out as just a highly reflexed stave, but handle deflexed a bit during tillering and I "lucked into' a very sweet shooter. Seems pretty fast for just being 45#
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Traxx

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 01:14:45 pm »
Justin,
Ya dont start a race at the end either, now do ya?LOL
Since the Riser is the Fulcrum of the bow and where the shooting begins,id say it is the best place to start.But,dont take my word for it.The Men,like Earl Hoyt Junior and Tim Meigs,who incorporated and made this style popular,call this style,D/R.Tim Meigs is a personal Friend and explained it to me,as a D/R.Was the design used in ancient times?Apparently so,but was it a purposefull design?I believe it was a product of weakining wood,and a way to improve its performance post manufacture.I dont believe it was a pre designed feature.We cant ask the ancients how they reffered to it ,so i guess we hafta ask the men who brought the design back and made it a standard.Speaking of Standard,I believe a set definition of terms was developed as a standard to avoid confusion.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 02:13:26 pm »
Justin- I thought that at first, and so I heated in the R/D shape (we all know what I'm talking about, even if it isn't the corect term lol), but it pulled out all the reflex in the tips (wood I used must not have been elastic enough). With less elastic woods it seems to jsut be elliptically tillered.

Thanks for everything so far guys :)!

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 03:13:36 pm »
Kegan, I like the r/d shape for it's high performancer but lately have moved back to slighlty slower straightbows. We have some groups that discuss the r/d design quite a bit and there are many theories around it. I like to tiller mine out so the r/d design is still slighlty visible at full draw, some tiller it out to where it looks like a normal straight bow when drawn and others tiller it to where the limbs look like a triangle when drawn almost straight. I find the real fast ones are nice to shoot but they do put a lot of pressure on the boo backing and it is disapointing to shoot one for a few weeks and then lift a splinter of boo on th back. For me I just can't shake to appeal of a straight longbow. Steve

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 05:09:32 pm »
I find the real fast ones are nice to shoot but they do put a lot of pressure on the boo backing and it is disappointing to shoot one for a few weeks and then lift a splinter of boo on th back. Steve
I hear you Steve. Unfortunately the way my mind works I like to push design so I get a better idea of what is happening with the bow.  I break a lot of bows, but what a ride.  :o Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 05:22:05 pm »
  Justin, I know exactly what you mean, I have been on that ride for a long time now. I kind of hit a plateau of sorts where I am finding it hard to think of something new to try and seemed to have hit my peak for performance type goals. My present goal is to build a straight or semi bow that will consistently meet a specific standard, no handshock and be reliable and safe drawn to 30". I have been taking some orders for bows the last few months and find myself not pushing the envelope so hard on a bow going out to someone else. Soon as I pay off the hospital bill no more orders! Steve

Offline Jesse

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 05:56:52 pm »
Badger when you say you pull a splinter after a couple weeks are you referring to one that has been tillered like a normal bow or with reflex at full draw? I would think with reflex still there at full draw it shouldnt put to much more strain than a bow with just reflex. Also I was wondering if a center core helps put less strain on the boo? Im working on one right now that is bamboo then a hard maple core then an ipe belly. I have not lifted a splinter yet but Im sure its just a mater of time. The oldest R/d bow of mine is only 3 years. Its had plenty of action and is still fine but I cant say how it will hold up 15 years from now. Now that I said that I bet I lift a splinter in the near future :D :D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Kegan

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 06:55:59 pm »
After I posted, I realized I had forgot to take into account how much R/D I had actually put into it, so I' back to square one lol.

Steve- I'm trying to just get to highest performance (both speed and stability) out of local hickory staves, heat-tempered. What design do you find that lasts the longest though (full draw profile wise)?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 07:15:05 pm »
My favorite design....R/D, or D/R....it's just not a cool bow without it. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr