Author Topic: Tanned snake skin  (Read 3061 times)

Offline bigcountry

Tanned snake skin
« on: February 05, 2009, 08:06:33 pm »
I had an idea.  So I made a bow for my son.  Its only 36" long and made out of Osage.  Wife is worried it will break kids being kids and all.  I mean at 8lbs at 12", the limbs are very thin.  So I thought about sinewing them, but that addes draw wieght.  So thought about thin rawhide, but most of it is not thin enough for a bow this small. 

So I thought about tanned snake skin.  I was going to rattlesnake skin the bow anyway for it be cool for a kid.  And just like dads, but isn't tanned skin kinda tough?  Wouldn't it give a little protection against exploding for a kid?  Maybe kill two birds with one stone so to speak.
Westminster, MD

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Re: Tanned snake skin
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 04:34:09 am »
I never used tanned skin before, but you could thin the rawhide with some sandpaper.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 06:10:41 am »
The skin or rawhide won't add any draw weight,the rawhide would help protect the
back,the snake will only help the looks,no protection at all.If it is tanned you will need
to clean it good with something to get the oil out of it or it won't stick.I usually use
dried but not tanned skin. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 09:10:54 am »
Like above. One thin layer of sinew would work.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 09:31:35 am »
Back it with silk.  It's very light and would offer protection.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 09:53:42 am »
Never thought of silk.  Wouldn't add any wieght, I could add dried skins overtop for astetics, and keep it from blowing up.  Thanks saw. 

I didn't know about the oils in tanned skins.  Thanks for the heads up guys. 
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 10:41:06 am »
With a silk or linen backing, your son could add a design of his liking. Snake skins are cool but he will out grow that bow soon. Save the skins for a later bow that he will use for a considerably longer time.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC