Author Topic: new arrows  (Read 8794 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
new arrows
« on: February 06, 2009, 02:22:04 pm »
I made these arrows for a trade with Minuteman(Chris).  He wanted Plains style arrows so these are my version...not authentic but almost primitive. ;D  The shafts are red osier(from Dana I believe) with self nocks(not bulbous pinch type that are typical). I mounted the turkey feathers with fletch tape to hold them down well but also wrapped them fore and aft with sinew. The points are hafted with pitch glue and sinew wrapped. I sealed all wraps and the shafts with pitch varnish. The cresting is earth pigments that was carried with Elmer's glue water. I guess I could have used glue water with hide glue but the Elmer's was convenient at the time. The decorative feathers on the fletching are Guinea feathers I bought from a fly tying shop and were used in some original Plains type arrows.
   I only had 5 trade points(from 3Rivers) so I use an obsidian point that Justin had sent me on one arrow. The arrow with the stone point is almost ABO. ;D I used liquid hide glue to attach the feathers.
  I posted these above but thought I'd post them for more folks to see.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Tom B

Re: new arrows
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 03:04:03 pm »
 Real nice Pat  workin onsome target arrows but spring will be here soon,and we all need some to lose in the woods

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 03:06:37 pm »
Thanks Tom. How's things?   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 03:21:27 pm »
Real purty arra's Pat :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 04:16:03 pm »
Thanks Dana. Couldn't have done um without those red osiers.   

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 08:34:40 pm »
I LIKE EM!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline xin

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 12:07:26 am »
Very nice work!!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 01:10:13 am »
Thanks guys.

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 04:26:14 am »
Nice Pat, Cool fletching and really like the cresting. Looks like two fletch but can't totally see. If you need some trade points let me know.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

AKAPK

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 05:55:19 am »
editto sure is nice to see nice Arrows.Phiilip

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 07:00:42 am »
Thanks Dana. Couldn't have done um without those red osiers.   

Did I give ya some at the Classic ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline PeteC

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 09:52:16 am »
Nice arrows Pat.Minuteman ought to really like them. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 10:34:53 am »
Thanks Ya'll.
  Kenneth, These are 3 fletch. I haven't crested arrows since my last set of cedars. This cresting is growing on me and I may start doing it again on arrows. I had bought the 6 trades from 3Rivers a few years ago to see what they were. I used one on something else so I only had 5 for Chris' arrows. I've been meaning to make trade points. I have the material but haven't had the urge. ::) If you come to the Classic, bring a few along.
  Dana, you either gave me some at the Classic or sent them to me. I have another bundle from someone else too. ??? ;D

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 10:54:00 am »
Man I'm starting to suffer from CRS ;) :D

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 11:13:27 am »
Welcome to the club! ;D